Chapter 1

Ragon walked around the woods looking for his only sister, Losen.  He was a boy of nineteen, the same age as his sister, with blue eyes and light brown hair pulled into a ponytail.  Ragon had on a pair of brown pants, a green long sleeve shirt, and a brown vest.

     Ragon was in the woods because Losen was always in the woods when nobody could find her, and, right now, she didn't want to be found.

     "Losen, come on out!  Mom is worried about you, and it's about to rain." Ragon called and approached a tall tree with a jagged X in the bark.  The X was deep enough to be seen, but not so deep that it would scar the tree.  It was a sign from Losen that she was there. 

     Ragon took a couple steps toward the tree, and two daggers shot out and pinned his pants to the forest floor.

     "Cut that out!  I was just sent to get you, and I'm not going back empty handed." Ragon yelled up at the tree as he pulled the daggers out of the ground.

     "I'm not coming down, and if you try to force me to, I'll aim a dagger at your head." A melodious female voice said that drifted through the foliage of the tree.

     "I know you don't want to go to that dance, but it's tradition, and Mom wants to make a dress for you." Ragon said.

     "I don't see the point of going.  I'm going to get married when I want to and not by the rules of this village." Losen said.

     "We'll find a way to get you out of those rules.  You just need to come down first." Ragon said.

     "Fine," Losen said, and a figure that had red hair with golden highlights in a pixie cut, circular and honey brown eyes and that was wearing a green dress, going down to her knees, with long sleeves and brown leggings jumped out of the tree and landed right beside Ragon.

     "I'm sorry to have to ask you again, but I still don't get it.  Why do we have to marry someone we dance with at the Salrin Dance?" Ragon asked as they started walking back towards their village.

     "Our village, as you know, is named after our founder, Wilselin.  Wilselin was forty-five when he founded our village, but he was nineteen when he met his fair Salrin.  Wilselin was a traveler, and he had stopped in a village for a little while.  He had been invited to the dance the village was having that night.  Wilselin had spotted Salrin, and they spent the entire dance with each other.  Salrin and Wilselin got married a week after the dance.  She went with him on his travels from that point on.  That is why it's a custom for nineteen year olds to marry someone they dance with at the Salrin dance in our wonderful Wilselin." Losen said, plucked two hansens, a fruit that was oval shaped, pink on the outside, but blue on the inside, and tasted sweet with hints of sourness running through it, and gave one to Ragon.

      "Thanks.  You really don't want to get married?  Our  parents really want you to be safe."  Ragon said and bit into his hansen.

      "There are no boys in this village that I even like besides you.  How could I be expected to fall in love with any of them?" Losen said.

      "You are stubborn, strong, and you voice your opinion openly.  You also do what you feel is right and won't let anybody make fun of you or anybody you care about." Ragon said.

     "Thanks for the analyzation." Losen said sarcastically.

     "I also know that no boy in this village suits you, and if you ever find your true love, it will be outside this village." Ragon said.

     "That's probably true, but I don't think Mom would like that." Losen said.

     "I don't think she would like us talking about this either, so we should get off this topic.  Besides, Mom and our female relatives will ambush you once you enter that door because they are set on making you a new dress." Ragon said as a medium sized cottage came into view.