Prologue

(Artwork above by itz_atsuya)

On December 3rd...

Hailey's POV

Have you ever questioned your sexuality? I never had, not until... today. In all my 16 years of living, I always had an attraction to men. Always had male crushes, never on women. That is until Daisy asked me to help her prep for the Winter Festival on December 15th, I think.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She came up to me as I was leaving the music room at the end of the school day. She asked me, "Hailey, do you mind helping me out for a bit?" I said, why not? She said it wouldn't take long and I didn't have anything else to do. I texted Zander telling him to go home as I was busy helping out. We had made it to the storage room which had more room than one would've expected. "This is what we will be dealing with," she said. "We're planning to make like a flower arch, but instead of using flowers we would use Christmas ornaments." I liked the idea, "wow! That sounds great, how are y'all planning to make it?" Daisy giggled, "well, I know we have some ornaments in this room, just not sure where they are." We started to look around the room, checking every nook and cranny to find them.

Eventually, I opened up the little storage closet which was full of decorations for different occasions. All are labeled and organized. I finally landed on the one labeled 'Christmas ornaments' on the shelf. "I think I found them!" I shout out. I tip-toed to reach it and start to pull it out slowly. "You need any help?" Daisy asked me. The box is almost out, "No, it's fine! I almost got it out—" I fell with all of the ornaments spewing out on the floor. Daisy rushed towards me. "Oh my gosh! Are you okay, Hailey?" She checks to make sure I'm not injured. "I'm fine, seriously! This is just a normal day for me," I joked. She chuckled in relief, "here, let me help you up, at least." I reached for her hand and got up from the floor.

I cleaned myself up from the ornaments. Daisy turns to say something to me as she freezes in shock. "Oh, my— Hailey, your forehead's bleeding!" I gently touch my forehead and check my hand. There was a bit of blood on them. She quickly grabs the first aid kit from one of the cabinets. "Daisy, it's fine, I can just put a bandage on it at home—," I said as she dragged me to a chair. "I'm so sorry, Hailey. This wouldn't have happened if I hadn't asked you to help me, I'm s—," I cut her off. "It's not your fault, Daisy. It's okay, I'm fine!" She looks at me with worry. "Can I at least cover that cut for you?" she asked. I said, "fine."

As she cleaned me up, we start to have a conversation. "I think it's nice of you to let Jake into the club, he seems very passionate about music," she said. "Yeah, despite our history, I could tell he genuinely seemed interested. Which is refreshing for a change." She looked for the best bandage for my cut. "It's very mature of you to give him a second chance..." she paused then continued, "...I believe everyone deserves a second chance. To redeem their past actions and how they've grown from their past mistakes, you know?" She looked at me with a smile. Which made me feel somewhat warm. She placed the bandage on my forehead, then we stared at each other for a while. It felt so comforting and so... different. It was weird.

She said, "then again, it's just my opinion," she giggled. I felt my heart race as I heard her little laugh, it made me smile. What the hell is wrong me? Why am I feeling like this? While we worked on the arch, our hands would accidentally touch which made me feel so weird. I don't know how to explain it, other than how it feels when I have had crushes on boys. But I couldn't possibly have a crush on Daisy.... I mean that's insane!

Right...?