Exam

It was 0430 and Mav and I ran to the bathroom to get dressed. We were in a rush and since it was exam day we had to hurry up. Being late was not an option. We didn't have time to grab any breakfast and dashed to Maverick's motorcycle. He usually drives like a madman but this was ten times worse. Thank God we arrived right on time to settle down for our air combat maneuvering exam. Goose was already here, he chuckled peeking at our exhausted faces. He definitely knew what went on last night.

A blonde curly haired instructor with bright red lipstick handed us our exams. I fiddled with my thumbs and heard my stomach rumbling. I was already stressed enough and having to run because of my stupid alarm was unnecessary additional anxiety.

I gave Goose a small smile before looking down at my paper, scabbing all the questions and analysing them. Compared to my Princeton tests this was pretty easy but I stayed cautious throughout the entire exam. The blonde instructor slowly walked through the rows of the class and nodded or frowned peering at our answers. I got a good reaction from her and I was satisfied. I finished the exam 30 minutes before the end and got to catch up some sleep and loosen up. Goose was sweating so hard, I could see him struggling with the last questions : they were always the most difficult ones. Maverick was confidently swinging by the questions. Even if he had gotten each and every one of those answers wrong, Mav would keep up his sanguine appearance.

The tall blonde peered over Sparky's shoulder. She let a small frown appear on her face and vividly shook her head. Sparky cracked her pencil in two pieces and let her body slam in the back of her chair. I pressed my lips together trying to give her a supportive smile. She shrugged back, clearly giving up on the exam. I twisted my neck trying to have a peek at Iceman's face. We all worked in duos. RIOs and pilots. If your RIO slacked on the ACM exam, you would get punished too since the average between you and your team mate counted on the score board. I trusted Javy, he was a hard worked and had quick wit.

Ice had a piercing gaze aimed at Sparky. He stared her down, wrinkling his nose. Everyone knew he would burst out in anger later. He was clearly bottling his emotions impatiently waiting for the end of the exam to be signalled by the instructor. Maverick leaned back on my table. I twisted my lips, angling my face to the side giving him a « stop it » look. He slid his chair back into position and although I would never admit this out loud, his presence softened my anxiety.

The woman pointed at the clock. Time was up and we all handed our exams in. Mav high-fived Goose and me. Goose ruffled my hair, patting my back a few times. All three of us had aced this test. I wandered towards Javy, silently praying he had also succeeded. His face was a little closed off and he ogled the floor. I tapped his shoulder and opened my mouth to comfort him. Suddenly, he jumped up and down, full of joy, laughing. I rolled my eyes.

« Ha ha ha. Funny joke. » I said with a sarcastic tone.

He slid his arm, looping it around my neck. I scanned the room, desperately trying to find Sparky after seeing her stress on the exam. We all heard deafening yelling outside of the class.

« We are losing the Top Gun trophy because of you! You missed multiple shots during the hops. Who cares if I failed ONE exam. » Sparky shouted.

« I will fire when I'm goddamn ready! If you think you can do better, go ahead, I don't care! » Ice was furious

Mav and I glanced at eachother worried stiff by the scene occurring i front of us. Ice's eyes filled up with tears, no one had ever seen him this vulnerable before.

« We're supposed to work together and you're making it impossible! You just wish you could get Slider back. I understand why he quit, you're insufferable! » Sparky spoke out loud and clear. This was the last shot Ice could take.