Chapter 18: Cruel Love

"Winter, open the door."

Landon's voice is loud enough for even Jackson to hear it. He asks me something, I suppose if I am alright but I can only stare into white doors which are shaking from Landon slamming his fist on them.

Death penalty.

Months I have spent into court business, fighting for Landon to be locked up for the rest of his life instead of being killed, now all dropped on the floor.

Even trying to keep him from killing Jeremiah. Now failed.

Of course, it failed. Of course it has.

"Open the fuck door, Winter."

"Haden?" Jacksons stern voice snaps me back to reality as I look around, taking steps back from the door.

"I'm here."

"What the hell is happening?" He sounds concerned for me, almost as much as I feel. But again, not even close.

"I need to go." I tell him, not even bothering to wait for his answer when the handle almost falls out of the door as Landon punches them out of its hinges.

Metal is falling and clattering over the floor when I click the end call button and clench my hand around the phone. His face is seething, hands red from smashing over the door as he takes fast steps towards me.

The one good thing is this bathroom has a spacious floor so I can step back and to the side, avoiding him at the same speed as he chases after me.

"Who were you talking to?" he tilts his head in mockery.

"Nobody." I reply when the features on his face burn. The scar on his cheek is mostly healed when his lips fall into thin line as he looks at me as a pray.

I try to run through the door, as our little game of cat and mouse changes positions. I am heading towards the door quickly, but he is faster when he pushes my whole side into the end of the wall when hole for the doors stays. The phone slips from my hand when Lilah and Caitlin, carrying Leah, arrive upstairs.

Leah is trying to get her way out of Caitlin's hands when Landon wraps hands around my neck, pushing my head back as the other holds my hand in the right position so he could snap it with one quick move.

"Let go of my dad." Leah shouts at Landon.

He scoffs, breaking our eye contact to glance at her. "Your dad didn't listen to what I said."

"So what?" she is hitting Caitlin's hands, trying to wiggle her way out. "You aren't his dad or boss."

"No, but I am someone he needs to listen to."

"Says who?"

"Says I." he timidly replies.

"Nobody cares what you think." Leah is scratching Caitlin's hand and tries to shut her up when she adds. "You are just a mean bully who needs to have other bullies around him because he is scared and useless and stupid and-"

Landon is rolling his eyes, shooting his area at Lilah as Leah continues to list out all the names she can which are appropriate.

"Take that." he glances down at the phone, then back at them. "And them, then check who he has dialed."

As soon as they leave, none with their own will, Landon is pushing me out of the bathroom, guiding me through the halls with a harsh hand on the back of my neck.

It's soon when I notice the dark black doors at the end of the hallways when I try to slow down, but he is still pushing me there.

I know what is there and I wish I could erase it all from my mind.