FORTY THREE

Isabel woke up the next morning to the feeling of feather like kisses on her back. She smiled to herself, enjoying her mate's gentle ministration on her skin.

"Happy birthday, gorgeous." Dylan's husky voice said through the mind link, causing memories of the previous night's love making session in the woods to fill her thoughts.

Dylan was quite wild last night, probably because his wolf was at its peak, as a result of the full moon, and she loved every bit of his roughness. Her legs could still feel the impact, but she wanted more.

"Happy birthday to you too, hunk." She turned around to face her mate, kissing him deeply.

Dylan moaned into the kiss. He was tempted to take the kiss further since that was what his mate was asking for, but he refrained himself because he wanted Isabel to have a good rest after several weeks of barely sleeping, so he reluctantly ended the kiss.

"Why are you dressed?" Isabel asked with a frown when she noticed her mate was casually dressed in jeans and a grey tank top.

"I, uh. I wanna head out for a bit."

"Why?"

"Don't do this, Isabel. It won't be a surprise if I tell you."

"I hate surprises, so, out with it."

Dylan sighed in defeat and told Isabel that he wanted to go grocery shopping and make something special for their birthday.

Isabel wasn't too happy about it because for several weeks now, she has tried her best to make sure her mate and her parents didn't leave the house. She wanted them close by, where she could keep an eye on them.

"Ingrid can do it, you know?" She suggested, not making it sound like she was ordering him to stay.

"Babe, I've been indoors for too long. It's suffocating!" Dylan groaned the last part, slumping on the bed beside Isabel, to show his displeasure.

Isabel didn't want them arguing on their birthday, so she agreed to let him do whatever he wanted, only for today. Dylan excitedly kissed her goodbye and asked her to get enough sleep because he was going to make it up to her that night. She threw a pillow at him, concealing her excitement at his promise to make her sore that night, but Dylan was out of the bedroom before the pillow could reach him.

She yawned in exhaustion as she was still too tired to get up, and in a matter of seconds she slowly drifted back to sleep, concluding within herself that she was going to ask Dylan to mark her that night.

Dylan wasn't expecting to see his mother in law already awake when he got to the living room.

"Didn't mean to startle you, dear. I woke up early to make something special for breakfast, for my birthday babies." Paulina explained when she noticed the shocked expression on Dylan's face, pinching him playfully on the cheek.

"Happy birthday, darling." She continued, giving him a warm hug.

"Thanks, Paulina." Dylan replied with a smile, returning the hug.

"Where's Isabel?" She then asked, staring at the stairs like Isabel was going to show up any minute.

"She's fast asleep." He lied, so that no one would go bother his mate in the room.

She needs some time to herself, he thought to himself, hoping his mate doesn't beat herself up over the current situation even on her birthday. He only hopes she doesn't blow his cover by coming downstairs anytime soon.