Chapter 9

After they finished their morning race only three packs were left behind by his team. The few that hadn't already noticed about the decreasing food, now became aware.

In the afternoon a lot of kids picked up the pace to secure the last packs and there was even some conflict with the Keepers, but they still failed to overcome them.

The boy decided to keep his team away. It was a wise decision since anyone in possession of packs became targets. Three Keepers got beaten up badly when they went to relieve themselves.

Mika moved all their supplies and placed them under the protection of the group. They didn't think anyone would try to touch them at their claimed spot, but they were wrong.

In the middle of the night a scream woke everyone up. An unknown kid covered a small laceration in his hand and the boy caught a glimpse of a shining sharp object disappearing inside Mika's right sleeve. Leo made a gesture for everyone to stay quiet but it wasn't necessary since the guards didn't seem to care.

The boy looked at Mika startled. She looked calm but he noticed that her right thumb was moving, scratching the other four fingers in succession like they were itching. She didn't seem to notice what she was doing.

*

The day after was the most hectic since they arrived at the camp. Everyone who participated in the run acted like their life depended on it. His group remained together trying to keep a stable pace and when they reached the Keepers, they remained there without antagonizing the others.

This time a few kids tried to pass through the Keepers to get to the food first but they were immediately intercepted. One of them, as she fell down, managed to grab the leg of a Keeper bringing him down with her. The furious Keeper got up, he stepped on the girl's knee, making her scream from the pain. This sight and the constant hunger made the remaining kids lose any rationality and instead of trying to outrun the keepers, they started grabbing them and beating them up.

Every time one of them fell, at least 3 kids stepped on the Keeper and kicked them while the others sprinted to grab another.

The Keepers were a coalition of many smaller groups, so when the ones from the front and middle of the formation noticed what was happening to the back, they stopped to help the ones from their respective groups. This action made the formation of the Keepers thin out for the first time.

Without pausing, the bulky kid turned his head and observed the situation. His eyes crossed with the boy's and he seemed to make a choice. After signaling the rest, he started speeding up and his group followed suit, going ahead of the rest of the Keepers. That was the opportunity the boy was waiting for.

Approaching the now weakened formation of the Keepers, following the boy's instructions one of the kids pretended to run to the left pulling 2 Keepers to his side before retreating. A second and a third kid did the same spreading them out as much as possible. When an almost empty space was formed in the middle of the former group, the boy signaled them to charge and immediately 10 of them rushed through the center pushing everyone out of their way.

The startled Keepers didn't have time to reorganize giving the opportunity to the boy's group to push harder and finally break through. Without missing a beat, they started gaining distance from the now completely disarrayed Keepers until they reached the table and made sure nothing was left.

 Without missing a beat, they started gaining distance from the now completely disarrayed Keepers until they reached the table and made sure nothing was left