𝐢𝐯. wreckage of the world

CHAPTER FOUR ― 2023
WRECKAGE OF THE WORLD

CHAPTER FOUR ―  2023WRECKAGE OF THE WORLD

ˏˋ°•* the wider city of boston

        DARKNESS HAS DESCENDED UPON THE CITY OF BOSTON, condemning those residing in the fragments of a shattered society back into the shadow. The natural advantage of night's corruptive touch worked carefully to their advantage, the mismatched group of two smugglers, a firefly, and a teenager arise from the opening of a manhole just beyond the confines of the Quarantine Zone.

        "Holy shit." The doe-like eyes of Ellie gaze wondrously upon the world that is just before her fingertips — a world she'd only dreamt of. Her body pivoting, she soaks in every detail of the dull wasteland, a twinkle of unmistakable light dancing across her youthful features. "I'm actually outside."

        "Ellie," The lowly whisper crawls jaggedly from Cassie's throat, her hand darting out to grasp at Ellie's forearm; tugging the girl roughly back into cover. Narrowly, the spotlight that'd been moments away from illuminating the stunned form of Ellie misses their location. "Fuckin' hell, kid."

        "Shit," Ellie mutters, "Sorry."

        "Okay, we're gonna take the left edge around the buffer zone." Her words pointed toward the younger two amongst them, Tess explains their plans hastily. Connecting her eyes with those of the auburn-haired girl, Tess instructs, "You stay close, and you follow my lead."

        "Yeah, yeah," Ellie replies, "Of course."

        "Let's go."

        With the icy touch of pouring rainfall soaking them to their cores, they commence their tedious journey of weaving their way through the intricate maze of hiding spots scattered outside the towering walls of the Quarantine Zone. Their careful movements cease only as they're treading through a drainpipe; the distinctive rumbling of a passing truck stilling the four in a heartbeat. Through the cracks of the rusted, metal pipe, a near-blinding light shines through; its illuminance seeking to expose any who dare wander.

        Every second drawn out, the truck finally escapes their proximity after what'd felt like an adrenaline-fueled lifetime. Letting out a shaky breath, Cassie shares a fleeting glance back upon the others, before beginning to step forth once more — leading them through the wreckage. And, as they'd been approaching their passageway to safety, a soldier, whose presence had been obscured by shadow, catches them off-guard.

        "Hey, don't move!"

        The bellowing voice of the soldier shatters the carefully executed stealth of the four. Mindset into overdrive, they search for anywhere to run, yet, nowhere offers them safety. The scorching blaze of instinct causing Cassie's limbs to move without a second thought, she shoves the stunned form of Ellie behind her — shielding the younger girl as the soldier's aim sets firmly upon them.