Soulmates Human AU Part 1

A/N: This is a soulmate AU where the world looks black and white until you touch your soulmate and then you see color
—-
Part One

School was taking forever today. Sophie tapped her pencil against her notebook as she listened to the last lecture of the day. After school Edaline, her adoptive mother, was taking her shopping to get clothes for her new job.

At seventeen years old, Sophie wished her mother didn't have to still take her shopping, but Sophie hadn't touched her soulmate yet. Her world was still black and white. Edaline helped by telling her which colors would look best together.

Sure, it wasn't uncommon to not see color yet, but you were still seen as incomplete. Her two best friends, Biana and Dex, luckily stayed by her side even if she could see color. It didn't take long at all for the two to see color once Biana had joined the friend group. Her and Dex shook hands when introduced and their whole world had changed.

Sophie was happy for them, but she couldn't help but feel a little jealous. Not only did they get a freaking soulmate, but they could see the world for what it really is.

Sophie couldn't even imagine what color would look like.

Finally the bell rings and students start filing their way out of the classroom. As Sophie passed through the threshold of the doorway she tripped on something, spilling all of the contents in her hands, and landing hard on the ground. She glanced up to see a pair of high heels standing right in front of her.

"Oh no! My bad! I forgot you were blind. How inconsiderate of me."

Sophie's eyes trailed up to see the dark figure of Stina Heks standing above her.

Sophie clenched her jaw. "I'm not blind." She quietly stated as she stood up and collected her things.

"Oh really? What color are my new shoes then?"

Sophie didn't reply.

"Mmm that's what I thought."

Sophie couldn't take it anymore. Ever since Stina had found her soulmate in kindergarten she'd been horrible to everyone, especially Sophie. She could feel a bruise start to form on her hand from her fall, but that didn't stop her from slapping Stina across her face.

"I may not be able to see color, but I can see your snotty face from miles away." Sophie smirked as Stina started to scream. Stina was moving forward, probably to hit Sophie back, before a teacher came and asked what was happening. Stina's face immediately transformed from anger to sadness within seconds.

"She - She hit me! For no reason!"

"That's not t-" Sophie was interrupted by the teacher intervening.

"That's enough. Sophie, detention. Stina, go home."

Great. Detention. What was she going to tell Edaline? What was she going to wear to her new job tomorrow?

Sophie trudged down the hallway toward the detention hall. There were only, surprisingly, three other students. A girl and boy were in one corner kissing as if they were the only people who existed. In the far back corner was a boy drawing in a sketchbook. He had a whole container full on different pencils. He must have touched his soulmate.

Sophie decided to sit next to the boy and watch him draw. He never moved looked up at her, but as her eyes made their way to look over his handsome features and styled hair, she saw a smirk form on his lips.

Sophie felt a rush of heat come to her cheeks, and quickly looked back on his paper.

He seemed to be drawing what looked like a castle of sorts. It had hard edges and soft, quick lines and careful lines. It was beautiful. Even in black and white.

Without looking up, the boy started to talk.

"Admiring my colorful artwork?"

His voice was deep, and overall lovely to listen to. Sophie almost forgot to answer.

"Oh- I- I can't see it."

The boy held up his sketch pad and turned it to face her.

Sophie flushed with embarrassment. This is awkward.

"Sorry no, I meant I can't see the colors."

This made the boy smirk even more.

"You may not be able to see the colors, but they're still there. So therefore, you are admiring my colorful artwork, you just don't know which colors are being used."

Sophie stared at him with her mouth slightly agape.

"Well- I mean- I suppose... if that's how you want to look at it. It- It is quite lovely though, the picture I mean. I bet the color makes it look even more beautiful."

The boy shrugged, "I wouldn't know."

"You mean you're using colors, that you can't see, and drawing with them anyways?"

"Bingo."

Sophie smiled. This boy was different than most people she'd met.

"So how'd someone like yourself end up in these parts..." He quirked an eyebrow at her and she realized he was waiting for a name.

"Sophie, Sophie Foster."

He smirked. Again. Boy did he do that a lot.

"Well, Miss Foster, welcome to my kingdom. Over in that corner we have what I like to call, the distraction zone" he motioned to the couple kissing, "let's just say... color isn't the thing they're most excited for when it comes to soulmates."

Sophie made a face, but couldn't help the small giggle that escaped from her lips.

"It's just Sophie.. by the way-"

He rested his hand on his chin as if he were analyzing. "And what if I chose to ignore your requests and called you Foster anyways."

He winked and Sophie couldn't help the blush that crept into her face... again.

"So, where's the teacher?"

The boy gave a mischievous chuckle.

"I may or may not have slipped a little something into his coffee earlier. Let's just say... I hope you won't need to use the restroom anytime soon."

Sophie stared wide eyed at him.

"Oh relax, he'll be fine by tomorrow morning."

The detention bell rang out, and before Sophie realized that meant it was time to go, the boy was packing up all his art supplies and heading out the door.

He turned around last minute and found her eyes. "Cya around, Foster."

And then he was gone.

TO BE CONTINUED....

Lots of Love, Madi Rose <3