Chapter Eleven: The sweetest magic

The headmistress was walking across the courtyard, sometimes around lunch. It wouldn't have been noticeable unless she was walking toward me. Then it was a little terrifying and reminded you that if you did something wrong, she would know very quickly.

"Mr. Drozdov," She says.

I swallowed, meeting her gaze. Was she going to ask why my father left in such an upset state? Why Nikolas and I walked out of the woods bloody and barely conscious? Or maybe it was something less important, like why I kept sneaking strawberries from the kitchens? "Yes?" I say.

Her eyes dart to my wings, where a bandage covered the wound. Ms. Greenwood said it would be best if I tried not to fly too much, but that did not stop me from flying. She said try, not don't. There's a difference. "I wanted to ask you, what happened in the woods the other night?" She says. "I've already asked Alexandre. I plan to go ask Nikolas sometime today as well,"

I nod. "What about... the other night," I say, pausing to notice that I saw somebody in the window behind the headmistress. My eyes meet Alex's. Wonderful. What did he want?

"What happened? Did you two do that to each other?" She asks.

I shake my head. "I don't really remember, actually. I think I might've hit my head. Ms. Greenwood said I might've gotten a concussion... so..." I say, shrugging.

The Headmistress looks at me with a raised eyebrow before nodding. "Okay. If you think you might remember something, please tell me," She says.

I nod my head, watching her as she walked off.

"What did you tell her?" Alex says, pinning me to the wall.

I scowl, shoving him off me. "Learn some manners, and maybe I'll tell you," I say, rolling my eyes.

Alex glares at me, waiting for an answer.

"I told her that I got a concussion and couldn't remember anything," I say. I brush my hair out of my face before looking back at Alex. "You don't think I'm stupid enough actually to tell her?"

"I think your little Italian friend is stupid enough to tell her," Alex says, pointing at me.

"No, he's not!" I argue, rolling my eyes. "Deimos probably would,"

"I know he probably would. The guy is as smart as marble is round," Alex says.

I tilt my head. That's the first time I've ever heard that insult. I sort of liked that insult, actually. "Let me go check, jeez," I say, rolling my eyes.

"Do you even know where he is?" Alex says. "You always go to the stupid courtyards. Starling, on the other hand—"

"He's at the astronomy tower," I answer, trying to ignore Alex.

"How do you know?" Alex asks, following me.

"'cause he likes to eat at the astronomy tower," I say.

"Do you stalk him?" Alex asks.

I glance over my shoulder at him. "Why would I stalk him?" I say.

Alex shrugs.

"Nikolas!" I say, sprinting into the astronomy tower. Alex had accidentally run into the headmistress, who was also on her way here now. We had maybe sixty seconds if we were lucky.

"What?" Nikolas says, glaring up at me. He was reading some books on the floor.

"The headmistress is coming," I say. "So you must lie,"