C3 - An Everwinter Forest

Strix was in charge of all logistical problems that the Sariel Detective Agency had to solve. He took pride in his incredible efficiency that had originated from his overseas studies. His tracking and bookkeeping ensured that everything the Boss collected was put to good use.

The agency had long since evolved from being just an agency. No, indeed- the Sariel Corporation began in earnest, first starting with the monopolisation of the most important asset in the city- metal. Metal needed to be sourced from outside the city, and the Mafia extorted every trader to deal with them. Under the Boss, however, all these extortionists mysteriously disappeared, and all of a sudden the traders were more than happy to trade with the Sariel Corporation.

This caused a massive shift in the power balance within the city, mostly due to the fact that bullets were running in short supply. The Mafia now dealt mostly in blades, or stolen and reused bullets, but the choke-hold produced around the metal supply was overseen by the infinitely diligent Strix.

That is not to say there were no hiccups- Multiple shipments of metal have been intercepted and stolen. But the operation had been going smoothly enough, and the monopoly on bullets did nothing but favours for the team. Still, it was important to practice diligence; if any of the Mafia groups managed to work together, the agency might be put in a tough spot.

It was therefore up to Strix to choke them out logistically, the Boss to strangle them strategically, and Excel to demolish them physically. Stella? Well, Stella shot whoever was left. The Boss also said there was one mysterious spymaster working for the agency, but they had never met, so the team began referring to her as Five, since they would be the fifth member.

All of this beautiful planning was cut to a halt as Strix rode out with the cleaning team to eradicate the corpses lying around the warehouse. With all of these constant interruptions, it was becoming hard to work, but it was of vital importance to everyone that bodies were not found. It became much easier to pin the crimes on any of the other mafia groups, which kept the heat off the agency for just a while longer.

'Excel. What happened here?' Strix inquired as the three hired helpers began dragging the bodies into the truck they had arrived in. There were signs of heavy gunfire- the remnants of the leftover metal were still quite abundant, but with every bullet fired, one bullet less existed. 'The boss isn't usually so meticulous. Every wound seems to be a sure hit.'

'Not sure myself, Strix. Perhaps she had something else to do.' Excel replied. 'She seemed to be rushing to some rooms at the back. Probably looting.' At his words, Strix's eyes shone. More money was always useful; While not altogether too much of a valid currency within Stellaris, money was quintessential for overseas imports as well as foreign trade. With the goal of restoring justice to the broken world, every rifle was needed.

More people, too, but it was hard to find anyone willing to fight against the Mafia.

Strix walked over to the office to find Bailey locking up a room. 'Hey, Boss. What are you doing here?'

'Beautiful timing, Strix. We're buying this warehouse. Get it done.' The Boss dashed past him and ran out into the warehouse, seeming to survey the goods. Strix was left confused, before he shook himself- Nothing to get surprised about, he decided. Did she even understand that the warehouse belonged to the Stars? How on earth was he going to purchase it from them?

It was always these logistical nightmares that the Boss would set him on. They drew near lunacy- The very first thing she asked of him was to purchase all the gunpowder in the city. All the gunpowder? How does that even happen? Yet, she provided the money and Excel provided the manpower, and it managed to happen. 'Choke them out, and we win by default,' she kept reminding them. 'It is impossible for us five to win against thousands, but if we have bullets and they have none, it won't be long before five wolves slaughter thousands of stationary sheep.'

But such a move was antithetical to her philosophies of laying low and waiting. Purchasing a warehouse from the mafia after slaughtering their men? That draws a massive target; but he was never one to back down from a challenge. He signalled to Excel, and got into the truck and drove back to collect some funds before making a move towards the Stars' official headquarters.

--

Flashy. The one word coming to your mind as you walk into the receptionist of the Stars. They seem to be replicating the design of a luxury hotel. Flags with seven stars adorned the walls, and sofas with well dressed people were sprawled across the hub. A receptionist beckoned them to walk past the fluffy red carpet and continue onwards.

'We'd like to make a purchase,' Strix began.

--

'YOU WHAT?' shouted the regional manager. This man was in charge of financial dealings, and though his large frame and larger cigar portrayed him as a relaxed fellow, the words he was hearing did nothing but accelerate his heart rate.

'We took over your warehouse, and are looking to buy it from you at a fair rate,' Strix repeated. Excel stood to his side menacingly, preventing the manager from ordering their deaths on the spot. 'I'm sure we can come to an agreement.'

The manager looked around, and then sighed. If they had lost the facility on a defence, it would probably be difficult to retake it. He reasoned with himself; if they were offering money, he might as well take it. It might lessen the burden of responsibility he held when he had to report this to the higher ups.

--

As the manager fell to the floor with a bullet in his skull, his final thought was, 'Ah. It did not.'

'Assemble the forces. We're storming the warehouse in five days. We must retrieve the Gate, or the profits we lose will be too massive!' whispered Ashur, the leader of the Stars. A secretary behind him nodded and went out to inform the individual team leaders. 'How did that fool lose the territory? I gave him three machine guns. Three! You, there. Explain what the hell is going on?'

'Shifter seemed to have provoked those demons at Sariel,' replied the spymaster, with a drawl. 'This information was gathered by the last survivor; some boy, apparently.' He paused for a while, letting the news sink in. 'Apparently, the Devil herself moved for this mission. Her intelligence is always incredible. She might have heard of the Gate, and moved to take it.'

Ashur's eyebrows furrowed. 'And what of the damages to Sariel?'

'As expected, my lord, not a single member was injured.' came the reply.

A slam on the table made all nearby shift slightly backwards. Documents flew off the table before landing near another stack on the floor. The body of the irrelevant man was already dragged out by an equally irrelevant lackey. Ashur took a swig of the substance near him before narrowing his eyes.

'Contact those bumbling fools at Ruler. It's time to push for the elimination of these upstarts.'