Chapter 1: Elevated Dread

Some say man is hard to satisfy

Some say man is hard to satisfy. The more he gets, the more he wants. And no matter how much money, power or fame he possesses, he always seeks more.

I agree.

Seeking more sex elsewhere and money in his career had probably been why Seb left me in the dust three months ago. But that was more speculation than fact, as he refused to give an answer when I asked for an explanation.

From my perspective, things were looking up for us. We were moving fast toward the good life. He had celebrated his promotion at a big tech company. We had been discussing our commitment to one another and what that meant for us, going as far as envisioning our future children and their likeness.

Which one of us would they'd take after most? Would they have my thick, kinky hair and dark brown eyes or his noticeable dimples and brilliant mind? As much as I had enjoyed gazing into his bright blue eyes, our children would most likely adopt my dominant genes and become the proud owner of dark brown eyes and deep brown complexion.

The four-inch heels of my shoes click-clacked along the sidewalk as I approached a drunken man holding a cardboard sign that referenced something about the government, the elite, or people in power and the evil they're leashing upon the world. The typical.

The city had been running rampant with conspiracy weirdos since the switch up in the highest office, so that was nothing new. But the word unfortunate couldn't describe the increased homeless population, which had also been running rampant lately. Sadly, seeing the misplaced sick and unlucky lying along the gutters and alleyways had quickly become custom.

The displaced easily became part of the scenery. Few people considered them worthy at all. The least I could do was hand the sign-holding man my daily coffee budget as a folded ten-dollar bill, something I did often to soothe the sting of guilt in my heart. He mumbled his gratitude through his overgrown salt and pepper beard, and I nodded a welcome before continuing.

Canyon Avenue ran up and down an upscale part of Paradise Valley, which was known for its luxury resorts and high-end real estate. But my quick trek from the parking garage to the high-rise building made me question if the city would lose that honor. As if the expectation of the high and mighty city would one day flip on its head like an unforeseen plot twist, taking the residents by surprise as if the clues weren't always there.

I finally made my way through the double doors of the twenty-story building. With my waist-length single braids pulled into a neat ponytail, just like Seb liked it. I turned into the furnished and spacious lobby that showcased Native American art pieces, an out of commissioned masonry fireplace, and other lavish features.

I click-clacked past the security booth that sat the hefty guard who was supposed to patrol the ground floor halls most nights, but opted to monitor the security cameras instead. I gave him a friendly nod, which he decided not to return, but it was nothing new. On most of my visits, he had either acknowledged me with a sneer or pretended not to see me at all. He always held that stoic, no-nonsense demeanor. The attitude he exuded left no question that he took his job seriously and took pride in his position.