Chapter 30: No way out

Isolated in my own mind, wondering how and why and nothing makes sense. She told me she abandoned me for my own protection. Was that a lie? How am I the Kathalenya? Is that where my name comes from? Enya. Enya means fire in Celtic. Kathal means "battle rule".

All the facts point to me being a danger to this world.

Am I not the hero in my own story?

Were my biological parents so scared of what I might do that they built a whole universe for me to keep me there in a cage?

My throat is dry and the lump in my throat grows as the memories of me in this universe are replaying in my head like a broken record. I feel numb not even knowing who I am. I am not Y/n Y/l/n, the graphic designer who had a regular life, I am not Y/n Barnes, the overly courageous girl who saved Tony Stark from dying. I am not Enya, the daughter of Agamotto and Deidre. I am neither of these. Am I just that? A disruption of reality?

Fire capable of mass destruction.

"Y/n, no one knows what the power of the Kathalenya really is. It was written that its power is highly capable of becoming a great force of evil. But that doesn't mean you will turn evil." Wong breaks the silence and I look at James who cannot even find the strength to look at me. Probably wondering right now what he did wrong to end up with me.

"What if I am? What if they knew I would become evil? What if that's why they sent me away?" I whisper not even sure how to speak anymore. All my thoughts are running free in every direction.

"I don't think they did. I think they were just scared. Look Y/n, you have a formidable force and it's because you do, that there is a morality to your self-control. If you were incapable of hurting people, not hurting people would not be a virtue. Yes, your power is dangerous, but you can also learn to control it. It takes strength to be good and I believe you are strong enough."

I am not even sure how to handle this information. Wong strongly believes I am not evil, yet the look in Stephen's eyes is deceiving. He is unsure.

"We have to do the Kof-Kol spell." Stephen shakes his head mentioning the forgetting spell. "This information is not safe for anyone to have, not even us. The time is not right. We figured it out once. We'll do it again. This is not safe." He says and I frown looking at him. Why is he saying this? What else does he know? Why does he feel scared?

"Stephen are you out of your mind?" I ask as I have finally understood the reason my real parents sent me away and he wants to take it away.

"Maybe he's right Y/n, if you know who is after power and he gets this information, it puts you in the most dangerous situation. We have to protect this at all costs. Not to mention other people finding out." James finally decides to join the conversation and I shake my head. Why is he saying that?

"No." I whispered closing my eyes. "I need more time. Wong, you said so yourself, no one knows the power of the Kathalenya. We don't even know. I think is far more dangerous to have it walk unconsciously among us than actually to know about it and learn to control it." I lay out my logic but it seems like Stephen is not even hearing me. This is so unlike Stephen. He is usually the one wanting to learn about forbidden powers. Does he know more than he lets out?

"Learn to control it? Y/n the power is asleep now. Do you even hear yourself? There must be more to this that we have no idea about. Agamotto and the Ancient One have both chosen to hide this and now you are talking about learning how to control it. This is not up for discussion. We are not about to do something so stupid that we can put the universe's fate at stake. We are barely beginning to recover, Wanda is out there doing fuck knows what to a city and her power is already a threat. We cannot, and I cannot stress this enough, we cannot handle another blow. I am sorry, I understand your curiosity, but this is not a luxury we can have right now." Stephen speaks and by the looks of it, his words did manage to convince Wong.