Part 26

"Bet." You tossed a first generation charizard at Donnie.

The mutant clicked his tongue against his teeth as he rotated it. "Holographic too." He set the card into the pile. Sent an appreciative glance your way. "Nice."

"Nu-uh." Mikey crossed his arms, leaning against the table full of wires and tools and metal bits. "There's no way-"

"You," Leo interrupted, "didn't catch them prepping for patrol. I did." Hand pressed to his chest.

"And you really think they did?" Donnie's brows knit, his own card dancing between knuckles as he debated.

"Oh." Hands clapped, rubbed together. Leo pushed off the wall as his phone went off. "One hundred percent."

"I still don't buy it." Mikey argued. "He's too awkward."

Donnie slapped his card down with yours, smiling crooked at Mikey's scoff of disbelief. "Sorry, little bro." He shrugged, foot kicking up as he leaned back. "I'm trusting Leo with this one."

"Well," he glared at his card on top of the 'Did Not' pile. "I'm sticking to it."

You huffed, eyes rolling. "Stubborn ass." Phone vibrated in your pocket.

Startled, you pulled it out, looked at the notification. Smiled.

"Sorry to bet and run guys," you tucked your phone back in your pocket. "But it's Valentines-" You ignored the glances Leonardo and Donatello shot at Mikey, who had stiffened suddenly. "And I've got a date!"

The mood in the room thickened, almost like gravity had increased.

"A... date?"

You shot your gaze up to Mikey. His shoulders flexing, fists bunching.

Good. Your eyes narrowed.

"Yes." You reiterated. "A date." You grabbed your jacket, throwing it on over your hoodie. "I'll catch y'all later."

You were halfway through the kitchen when a hand on your shoulder stopped you.

Which you had expected.

"Look," you sighed, turning. Shocked to see Leo.

With his stupid, smug grin. "Yeah?"

"Oh fuck off." You snipped, shaking him off.

He shrugged, "I've got a Valentine's date too." Leo offered as an excuse. "I'll get killed if I'm late. Especially since I forgot earlier."

You chuckled, emerging into the main sewer line with the mutant. "About time someone put the fear of God into you." You teased.

Leo gently nudged you with a chuckle. Hesitated.

"What?" Brows knit.

"It's just..." he inhaled, rubbed his neck as you both stopped where your paths diverged. "Mikey... likes you, you know?"

Lips thinned as your arms crossed. As you rocked back on your heels. "Does he now?"

Your tone made Leo twitch. Realization dawned on him. "You know." Eyes narrowed as he observed you. Pieces fitting together. "You... oh fuck." Head fell back. "I'm an idiot."

You didn't disagree. "If the shoe fits..." you offered, grinning at his glare.

"So." He inhaled, looking at his watch. "What happened?"

You frowned. Kicked a foot. "I got shot."

You watched the information sink in. Process. "Ah." Leo frowned. Licked his lips, eyes darting back toward the lair like you both would get caught. "It-" He inhaled. "It always amazes me at how well Mikey can read emotions and brighten a room." You nodded, feeling cautious. "Except when it comes to himself." Leonardo scanned your face, looking for... you weren't sure what. "Just something to keep in mind." He moved away. You listened to his feet patting on the cement walkway.