Chapter Six

I didn't sleep, too concerned that I would awake in the middle of the night to find Steve standing over me, ready to take what he wanted from me. It was his erratic behaviour that had me believing he would do such a thing, it was his words from the previous day that really drove home how far away I needed to stay from him,

But first, you're going to fall in love with me, Miss McAllister.

I had tossed and turned, rethinking every single moment in his presence, deciphering his movements, his words, and his looks. He couldn't have meant it.

Whether he was from this world or not the fact still stood, he was Captain America. Steve Rogers. He could have what he wanted and no one would stop him.

Why was he so interested in me? Was there something I could offer him, was this some type of revenge, had I crossed him in his own world?

I had been so desperate for answers I had grabbed a notebook and scribbled down all of the theories before realising all were possible but highly unlikely.

I would keep my distance. S.H.I.E.L.D would deal with him, they would send him back or on a mission or use him as a lab experiment.

The last thought unnerved me and I discarded my notebook, already sick of playing detective. This was too far out of my league, I only wanted a roof over my head and I already didn't have the upper hand, my daily blood tests and close working relationship with Ryan were what was keeping me here.

How soon until Ryan or the other scientists found what they wanted or scrapped the experiment together? Where would that leave me?

I looked around the small apartment, my form of payment for my service at the Compound. It was barely bigger than a college dorm room but I had my own bathroom and the entire outer wall was one huge window overlooking the grounds. I was safe here and in a world that moved on without me while I was nothing but dust - that's all that mattered.

Nothing changed here. Yesterday was just a small exception.

I figured I'd speak to Ryan, head to the lab early and figure out what my options were. How else the Compound could use me or what little I had to offer. I'd even agree to some of his more out there tests if it meant saving my own ass.

Before the panic settled in I threw on some clothes and checked the time. It was hardly even light outside the but there was a high chance Ryan was already at work in the lab.

I didn't bother with my usual work attire and figured I'd return back to my room after I pleaded my case to Ryan and dress appropriately.

Not even the agents or Avengers left the gym wearing sweatpants, the Compound took itself seriously and part of that was keeping the people inside of it under strict rule. The world post-Blip had brought humanity closer but it had also caused us to fear death in a way we had never before.

So I didn't mind following the rules. 

Everything took forever, from walking down the long hall to waiting for the elevator and riding it down to the labs and walking down another long hall until I reached Ryan's lab.

'Oh, thank god.' I said as I set my eyes on Ryan. His back was to me, coffee in hand, head lowered to read a tome of paper before him.