17. confident kisses

The last few days have felt like a whirlwind

The last few days have felt like a whirlwind. I've barely had time to gauge my real emotions because I've spent most of the time feeling numb and useless. Someone purposely trashed Liam's memorial, they did that to someone who is dead and cannot even defend themselves. I can't believe there are sick people out there like that.

To then see the news that Liam's case has been reopened. They believe that there was a third person involved and could have deliberately caused the crash, meaning they were out to get Liam.

Purposely trying to kill him.

I couldn't imagine anyone hating him. He was such a lovable person. My brain feels like it's been fried when I think about it for too long. Something must have happened, someone must have been jealous or had it out for him when he lived here.

It doesn't add up. Not when I knew Liam the way I did. He didn't deserve this.

My phone is pressed to my ear as I speak with my father. It's been a rough couple of days for us both. Dad's trying to keep strong for me and I'm trying to keep strong for him. It's an endless cycle of fake emotions because we don't want to bring each other down. Although I know we're both hurting.

"The police rang me the other day," my father says cautiously. "Said that new information had come about and that they're trying to piece things together."

I furrow my eyebrows. "Why didn't you tell me?"

My heart sinks so low in my chest that I stop breathing altogether. "Because I didn't want to upset you. I wanted to know more information first. I didn't even know if they were going to reopen the case. They just told me about the new information. And I know how well you've been getting on. I didn't want to disrupt that."

"But I had the right to know," my voice comes out harsher than intended and I wince. My father isn't a bad person, he's always been there for us, for both of us. I understand that he wants to protect me but I'm an adult, I deserve to know what's going on.

"I know, son." He sounds guilty. "I'm sorry. I wish I could be there with you."

My eyes float to the floor. "Me too."

"Things will get better."

"Will they?"

My father is silent for a few moments, I suck in a silent breath of air. I pin my eyes to the wall in a hard stare. "Yes," he says eventually. "This is all still new and raw but it will get better. I miss him. I miss him like crazy but now I want to focus on getting to the bottom of what really happened to him. We owe him this."

I find myself nodding. I know what he means. "We do." My voice is hoarse.

"I hope you're keeping yourself well, Alex," he says slowly. "I'm worried about you."

"Don't be," I rest my hand on my kitchen counter. "I'm okay. Taking one day at a time and I've got people around me who care."

My dad exhales a soft breath. "Oh, you have no idea how pleased I am to hear that. I'm so glad that you've made friends."

Signs From The Universe (bxb)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara