Chapter 2: Realization

The sound of wings flapping drew the queen's attention, the noise coming from behind Tohl.
"He was... hah, he intervened... on our behalf!"
The blue-feathered harpy from before landed beside Tohl, winded.
"What's that, Naiah?"
"He... he tried to help us. Granted, it didn't go exactly as he might have planned, but we did all make it back, right?"

Laoriiju hesitated for a moment before her expression flipped.
"Oh, I wish I had known that sooner!"
Tohl melted into a puddle on the floor, head in his hands, groaning.
"That changes everything. Neither I nor my people have had a positive interaction with humans in a long time."
Tohl remained collapsed, unaware of anything being said.
"Is he going to be okay?" Naiah asked.
"I think he needs a moment. In any case, I need to figure out a way to return him to Manse safely. Why don't you fetch Soh-Toh for me? Her wound should be bandaged by now, she can show Tohl around."

Naiah glanced at them both before heading back out. Once the door closed behind her, it became Laoriiju's turn to panic.
"You poor, poor thing, I'm so sorry!"
She wrapped her tail around Tohl and lifted him to eye level.
"Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?"
"I just need to lie down..."
"Guards!"
The two kobolds from before entered from behind the queen. They spoke in unison when they reached her.
"Yes, your majesty?"
"Bring this one to a guest room."
They nodded, and Laoriiju lowered Tohl to the ground. He slogged behind the guards as they led him away, the queen's eyes full of concern.

                                                                                                  ...

"Just have a seat there, Soh-Toh, I'm going to get the gauze."
The familiar coziness of Rackus' home surrounded her, the handmade furniture, crackling fireplace and scented candles radiated a homely warmth.
Once he was back in the living room, Rackus sat beside Soh-Toh on the lounge and wrapped her arm with the gauze. He was able to surgically tend to his friend's wound without agitating the injury despite his large hands.

"I forgot how good you are at this."
"My grandmother was a good teacher."
Satisfied with his work, Rackus cut the gauze with his claws and set it on the table beside him. Soh-Toh looked over her friend's handiwork and flashed a smile of approval.
He returned the smile, but it swiftly faded.
"Soh-Toh, this situation could be disastrous... for all of us."
"I know."

They spent a moment in silence, save for the sound of some horse drawn carriages moving about the village.
"Do you think... That boy..." Soh-Toh trailed off.
"I didn't think you cared."
"Well, the more I think about it, the more I realize that he was trying to help. If he hadn't been there, it could have ended badly."
Rackus draped his arm around Soh-Toh as her head leaned on his shoulder. His eyes narrowed and he looked about the room before his face softened into a smirk.

"I suppose you have something to say, Benny?"
From the shadows cast by the fireplace, a silhouette rose before it materialized.
The round-headed goblin now stood before them, half-lidded purple eyes staring back at the two. He lowered the hood of his black cloak, revealing his pointy green ears and the tuft of brown hair on his head.
"You should have just dropped him."
He grabbed an apple from a bowl and leapt onto a chair, leaning it against the wall.
Soh-Toh folded her arms as best as she could.
"The fall would have killed him, and then we'd be in an even worse spot."
"I dunno, Feathers. This seems bad enough to me."
Benny took a bite from the apple and kept direct eye contact as he chewed.
"Sometimes I can't believe the queen made you a general." Soh-Toh sneered.
"Yeah, yeah, squawk on."

Rackus got up and rubbed his temples.
"That's enough. We're all concerned, I understand. Let's just wait until the queen gives further direction, alright?"
Benny got down from the chair and tossed the apple core on the table. He moved towards a shadow in the corner and glanced over his shoulder.
"Try not to cause more problems for us, So-So."
Benny pulled the hood over his head and disappeared in an inky mist.
"Naka soleh tukescho, tu pelah. [That guy has no brain, what a pity.]" Soh-Toh muttered, much to the amusement of Rackus.