Chapter Eleven: A Fighter is Born

Corny title, I know right?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Chapter Eleven

A Fighter is Born

Melody's P.O.V

Thunder roared, cackling like a mad man in the sky. Laughing at our misfortune. Fucking bastard. The scent of rain invaded my nostrils and lulled me from the darkness, dragging me from sweet serenity. Deciding it best not to fight I sat patiently, concentrating on my ragged breaths. Time seemed to pass so slowly until I was able to open my eyes.

My head was resting on the back of Carl's chair, the seat belt wrapped tightly around my waist restrained me from breathing properly. Shakily with blurred vision I unlocked the seat belt and leaned back in the chair. Looking down at my right arm I whimpered. A shard of glass stuck out from my forearm, small streams of blood trickled from the wound and stained the car seat. Gritting my teeth I grabbed the shard of glass and ripped it out. A strangled scream escaped my throat as I writhed around in pain.

Regaining my composure after a few minutes of agony, I looked towards the front of the car. Alan and Carl lay still, slumped over the dashboard. Fragments of glass were everywhere. I brushed loose shards off my lap and leaned forward in the seat. I extended my arm outward and pressed my fingers against Carl's neck. The strong thrum of his heartbeat consoled me. I moved over to Alan and sighed gratefully when the beat of his heart met my fingertips. I shook his body gently, hoping he would regain consciousness. He didn't.

Black smoke seeped from the cars engine and disappeared into the dark night. Cold air infiltrated the car and left me shivering. I brushed the remaining shards of glass off my body and threw the car door open. I threw the large shard of glass I had pulled from my arm out the door and wriggled out of the car. I clutched onto the door of the car as I tentatively stepped out. Glass crunched beneath my foot as I slowly walked away from the car. I stretched my numb limbs in the air as I gazed off into the distance. As my vision slowly recovered I was able to recognize the vague outline of the police station in the distance. A swarm of clouds congregated together, creating what would soon be a powerful storm.

With my mind still extremely hazy I stood still in the cold wind, recollecting my thoughts slowly. I turned around, crunching shards of glass along the way I walked back towards the car. A low moan filled the night air and froze me to the spot. A dark figure shambled round from the side of the car and staggered towards me. Shaking my head profusely I stepped back.

"No!" I croaked, watching the man advance towards me. "Please..." I whimpered. I was too weak to fight him off, too fragile. Menacingly he lunged towards me, a snarl ripping through his yellow teeth. Summoning a small amount of strength I stepped forward and pushed him back. He staggered back a few steps but soon regained his balance. A sob escaped my lips as he continued to march towards me. I slammed my palms into his chest but failed to push him back. He wrapped his arms around me and smashed his body against mine, knocking us to the ground. His body squashed me against the ground and knocked the air out of my lungs.

He snapped his teeth at my neck, his eyes crazed and yet lifeless. I wrapped my hand around his neck and held him back as best I could. My strength slowly fading his teeth inched closer and closer towards my neck. I looked around hopelessly, searching for anything to help me. My eyes caught sight of the glass shard coated in my blood. I threw my free hand out towards it. Desperately trying to reach it. The tip of my finger brushed against the jagged edge of the glass. His face continued to close in on my neck, his lips brushing against my jaw. I shivered at the feeling of it.