Chapter 46

It was 3 AM at the Yagami residence. Thirteen hours since Jubilee had written in the Death Note.

Light had been home for two hours and was waiting when Ryuk finally glided into his bedroom.

"What took you so long?" he asked with a glare.

"Oh, just having a little bit of fun," chuckled the shinigami in his usual gravelly tone. He produced a black notebook and handed it to Light with a grin. "Is this what you been waiting for?"

Light took the Death Note that had formerly been his. "Did Misa keep some of the paper like I told her to?"

"Yep. Your little puppet's very obedient, even if she is a bit flighty."

Light sat down at his desk and riffled through the pages of notebook, scrutinizing them as he thought over the plan he had been formulating for the last several hours.

"So," said Ryuk. "What are you gonna do now?"

Light didn't answer, but instead nodded to himself and murmured, "Yes. It should work." Turning to his computer, he pulled up a page on the internet browser.

Ryuk craned his neck to look over Light's shoulder. "Eh? You've got to be kidding me," he said, staring at a forum page full of Kira followers and fan girls. "Are you checking your likes and follows?"

Light gave him a look. "How do you even know that term?"

Ryuk guffawed. "Please! My old man's got a whole department targeting social media." He gave Light a sly look. "I didn't take you for one who cared much about that kind of stuff though."

Light returned his attention to the monitor. "I don't." Scrolling down the page, he clicked on a name. "But, like you, I know how to take advantage of it."

A man's face appeared on the screen, along with his accompanying profile. The name under his picture read "Teru Mikami."

"Kira has amassed enough popularity and allegiance on a global scale by now, that some are beginning to see his way as law," Light explained. "In essence...I have an entire legion of followers at my disposal. So, it is time to use them. I've been researching and evaluating scores of them for the last day and a half, and—" He pointed at Teru Mikami's profile. "This is the man I've chosen to be my weapon."

Ryuk squinted at the picture of a young, black-haired man on Light's screen. "Is that so? And what exactly do you plan for him to do?"

Light swiveled to face Ryuk. He held the Death Note back out to him. "First, I plan for you to write the two fake rules into this notebook as well. And then, you will deliver it to this man...along with a message from me."

The shinigami raised a crooked eyebrow. "What, no 'please'? I'd say you're starting to get a bit bossy with me, human."

"I'll give you a whole bushel of fresh apples."

Ryuk snatched the notebook out of Light's fingers with a cackle and flipped it open with a flourish, brandishing a pen. "Consider it done. What did I ever care for manners anyway?" He began to scrawl onto the back cover.

"And Ryuk..." Light turned back to his monitor, his voice deceptively even. "Even though you failed to copy down exactly what I dictated to you last time, word for word...you better stick to the same wordage that you used, for consistency's sake."

Ryuk feigned confusion. "What do you mean?"

Light's voice took on an icy tone. "I think you know exactly what I mean. 'Anyone who writes in this notebook'? I specifically said 'anyone who writes down a name."