Chapter 1: A Sorting Ceremony

Narrator

Professor fig peers through the giant oak doors gazing at the hundreds of students cheering and wooing as their new first year house mates are sorted and sit to join them.

In an instant his gaze is met by the headmaster. Professor Blacks face curls into a look of disapproval as he walks around his podium and between the tables to join Fig in the corridor.

Fig looks behind him at the new student giving a look that says without words 'I'm sorry about this' before the headmasters tall sleek presence fills their view.

"Professor Fig! You had better have a good explanation as to why you are late this evening." He says his hands clasped behind his back.

"Well sir you see...-" Fig starts only to be quickly cut off. 

"Never mind where is the student you were told to escort here?" He asks looking around before his eyes finally meet her. "Hmph, well if you will accompany me we may be able to get you sorted this evening." He says turning in place and heading back into the main space.

The new student, not wanting to make any enemies, quickly follows behind being met with as many eyes as the room contained.

Professor Fig had transfigured her clothing to be that of the Hogwarts robes. Grey with no sign of a house crest yet. Her small physique stood tall as she walked to the front of the hall. Any voices that had been wrapped in conversation quickly changed topic to whispers about the new arrival.

"She's a bit old for a first year isn't she?"

"Where do you suppose she got that scar?"

"I heard she doesn't even have her own wand yet"

"Well I heard she was rejected years past for not having enough skill"

"Ahem" an inpatient professor Weasley made a point of clearing her throat loud enough that the halls gossip and chatter died down.

At this point the girl had seated herself at the front of the dining hall. Back straight and eyes forward. Clearly trying her very best to hide the nervousness that she was holding in her chest. A dusty brown cap was placed on her head and all but her saw the sorting hats folded features twist in confusion.

"Ah a bit older than the others aren't we? You've looked into this school. Preconceived notions of where I will place you and what that will mean for your short time in this place." It said in a raspy voice.

Her voice caught in her throat her dark brown curls shifted as she fidgeted in the chair. The illusion of confidence she had, slowly fading as she heard these words.

"I have" she said out loud. Her voice the deep pitch of an alto rang in the ears of a dirty blonde wizard seated at the table dressed in green. A small smile darted across his face at the idea of a new voice joining their year.

"Hmm well you're an ambitious one I can tell. Ready to take on this year head on. However, I also see a strong sense of loyalty in you." The hat spoke. The students at the tables dressed in red and blue began their conversations again. Fully confident the strange witch would not be joining them.

"I am excited for this year, Professor Fig has taught me a lot during our time together and I can't wait to see what I can do with even more resources." She speaks her words not nearly as audible with the new chatter of half of the hall.

The dirty blonde boy was listening though. His heightened sense of hearing being useful to him at times like these.

"Well dear you would be fine in both the Hufflepuff or the Slytherin houses but I know which way you lean" it said it's gravely voice sounding almost relieved as it gets to sort its last student and rest for another year.