13 | Ambrosial Erudition

"READY TO BID adieu to this soiree?" Gianna asked, scrunching her face at the bubbles of champagne tickling her nose as she finished the last sip from her flute

"Yes, let's," I nodded, eager to return to the comfort of my bed, my mind already picturing the plush pillows and soft blankets that awaited me.

The last of the members had already cleared out the room, leaving only Gianna and I behind.

As I stood up to put my chair under the table, a sudden urgent sensation forced its way to the forefront of my mind.

"Actually, Gianna," I said, noticing Priscilla still standing nearby, deeply engrossed in reading some papers. "Would it be possible to meet you outside? I just need to use the restroom."

"Sure thing," she replied with a smile, heading towards the foyer. I approached Priscilla, who was still focused on her reading.

As I drew closer, I found myself wondering what title to use. She struck me as a sophisticated woman who might prefer formalities, but calling her "Miss" might not be appropriate if she was married.

I discreetly glanced at her left hand, but couldn't discern if there was a ring on her finger. The conundrum left me momentarily stumped.

"Excuse me, Priscilla," I settled for the safe option. "Is there a bathroom here I could use?"

Without looking up, she pointed backwards. "Go to the foyer and up the staircase, turn left at the top and it's the last door on the right," she instructed, curtly. "Please refrain from touching anything."

"Of course." I nodded in understanding, before making my way up to where she had directed. "Thank you."

I followed Priscilla's directions precisely, making my way up the main staircase and to the last door on the right.

As I climbed up the last of the thirty steps, a small bead of sweat trickled down my forehead. I counted each step, feeling the weight of my body with each exhale. It was a humbling reminder of my physical limitations. I made a mental note to work on improving my fitness.

I made my way down the left hallway, separated from the staircase, and reached the last door on the right. With a gentle push, I opened it, and the cool, crisp air of the bathroom washed over me. As I stepped inside, I couldn't help but notice a faint, yet familiar scent in the air.

The gorgeous flooring was the first thing to catch my eye. White marble tiles, smooth and cool underfoot, covered the floor like a pristine blanket of snow. The veining in the marble snaked through each tile, like a map of the earth's own secrets. It's as if each tile were cut from the very quarry of antiquity, imbued with the wisdom and refinement of centuries past.

The walls were adorned with stately stone grey tiles that rose to meet the ceiling with a regal grandeur. Each tile had been selected for its fine grain and subtle tonal variations, lending a sense of refinement and natural beauty to the space. It was like being in a place that was both ancient and modern at the same time.