C26 status update

"Okay, Kiyomi, now these?"

Hatsumi asked, motioning to several plants laid out on the mat in front of me.

We were performing a test. I had to pick out the one with healing properties; the difficulty was I've never seen any of them here. We were currently training on procuring means of healing or medication if a healer was not present. It's been a couple of months since Callum's training started focusing away from just trying to hit him with full force, and it was thankfully putting me at ease at least a bit. He was just making me exercise and follow his technique for the time being. In the meantime, Mother's training ramped up in pace. Whilst it was much of the same content, it was more testing and on-the-spot questions. 'Check these tracks, listen for this sound, make sure this plant isn't the wrong one, so you don't accidentally paralyze yourself.' It was much more a mental exercise than any of the other things I've had to do here, with the exception of learning about Va-ren.

"Hmmm, this one?"

I pointed to a plant that was similar to Aloe vera; it was the only one of the few that wasn't a flower. That and it was easier to recall since it was similar to earths, the primary difference being it was red. But then again, it was red on earth after the war, so it may as well be a one-to-one.

"Kiyomi, you know why we're testing on these, right?"

Mother said, her tail drooping as she began to pout.

"Mom?"

*Sigh*" Kiyomi, it was a trick question. I had hoped you'd catch it, but you didn't."

Mother then began sorting them into a few groups.

"All of them have some form of medicinal property, Kiyomi. The key is, recognizing which ones will fit the purpose."

She picked up the Aloe vera.

"This one can be used for sunburns, low-level acid burns, and a handful of diseases."

Then she picked up a strange leaf.

"These can be used for sanitizing a wound from a monster's bite or scratch."

Producing a small parcel, she opened it to reveal more before placing the current leaf in with them.

"That is one you'll want to learn to search for more than most, and you'll find yourself using them often. Even WITH a healer present."

This is beginning to feel like scolding rather than a lesson.

I didn't catch myself in time, unfortunately, as I rolled my eyes halfway through my thoughts. Resulting In a swift flick to one of my horns.

"Ouch, Mooom!"

"Don't 'mom' me! Kiyomi, this one is important. I was about to get to the one you'll need to harvest regardless."