Perfect Pumpkins

"It'll be so fun!" You all but whined from where you sat on the kitchen counter.

"Being cold and hunting for the prettiest vegetable is fun for you?" Eddie asked.

"Pumpkins are fruits."

He was quiet, only the sounds of running water as he rinsed a dinner plate in the sink. The water stopped and a comfortable silence fell over you. He picked up a dishrag from beside the sink and dried his hands. He turned to you, taking a step closer to stand between your parted knees.

You reached forward, your hands coming to rest atop his shoulders. He wrapped his hands around your back, linking his fingers behind you. You, in turn, crossed your ankles around his waist. He smiled as pulled him closer.

"Please?" You asked sweetly, blinking up at him through heavy lashes.

He rolled his eyes dramatically, his head falling to the side. "Have I ever said no to you?" He asked.

"You-"

"We're not getting a snake." He said sternly. His lips were suddenly on your cheek for just a moment before you felt them on the shell of your ear. "But we can get a pumpkin."

The next morning was an early start for you. You left Eddie curled up in bed, blanket clutched to his bare chest as he snored. He always woke up late when he could. When work or other obligations didn't require an early rise, Eddie Munson would sleep as long as you would let him.

So you decided to go about your normal weekend morning routine. The warm water of your shower bordered on too hot as you allowed the small bathroom to fill with steam. You hummed to yourself as you rinsed the discount soap from your body, your voice mingling with the loud rushing water around you.

When you walked into the bedroom you shared with Eddie you saw that he was still peacefully sleeping. He'd rolled over, no longer facing your side of the bed like he'd been when you left him. He was now on his opposite side, hair a mess around his head and your blanket pushed down to his hips. He was sweet like this, you thought. Calm and content in your bed. You chose an outfit for the day, simple jeans and a dark grey sweater over an old tshirt. After quickly dressing you stepped next to the bed, crouching beside your sleeping boyfriend. You placed a quick kiss to his temple, letting your lips linger for just a moment before pulling away. He stirred just slightly, his mouth closing as he dug his face deeper into his pillow.

The kitchen and living room needed tidying. A long week for both of you had led to clutter on most of the flat surfaces in your home. So you picked up your walkman from beside the couch and set to work.

By the time you finished cleaning up in the living room you'd flipped the tape in your walkman twice. You were so focused on your current task, wiping dust from the top of the TV, that you didn't notice Eddie in the living room with you.

"Oh, fuck!" You gasped as you turned around, hand flying to your chest.

"Gimme a minute, sweetheart, I just woke up." He giggled from his spot perched on the arm of the couch, one bare foot on the cushion while the other rested on the floor. He held a steaming coffee mug in one hand, holding his free hand out to you. You set your walkman and headphones on top of the TV before taking the few steps towards him.

He wrapped his arm around your ribs and nuzzled his nose into your chest. You pulled him closer, one arm around his shoulders, the fingers of your other hand tangling into his messy curls. You pressed a kiss to the crown of his head, inhaling his scent.

"Morning," you muttered into his hair.

"Still wanna go pumpkin huntin'?" He asked, his voice muffled by your sweater. You nodded into his hair, your nose mussing his hair slightly. "Give me… this much time." He said, holding up his coffee mug, his face still buried in the soft fabric of your sweater.