Chapter 13

SOFIA

It's early in the morning as I hear the doorbell ring. I stand up from bed and wonder around the apartment until I reach the door. I'm still in my nightgown, but I don't think that it could be anyone except for April who's on her morning run and might have forgotten her keys or Nessie who's out shopping.

I'm also tired, since I've spent half of the night telling Nini everything that has happened between me and Alec so far, and the other half I spent it watching The Princess Diaries with her. The girl is a romcom addict. Even has 10 Things I Hate About You as favorite movie. We're watching it tonight.

I'm rather surprised as I open the door and find no one, but a small in-paper-wrapped present. I take it inside, breaking Darrel's rules. He said that every package I get must go through him first, so that he can check that it is nothing dangerous. Yet, it's too early in the morning and I'm too curious. So I bring the package inside.

There, I put it on the kitchen table, where Dia is currently with her headphones on, drinking coffee. As she sees me, she takes her headphones off and puts them around her neck.

"Morning, Soph. I've made some coffee. Want some?"

"Yeah, thanks," I let out, still focused on my package. She stands up, she's also still in her nightgown, and goes bring me a cup. As she hands it to me and is standing next to me, her gaze wonders to the package.

"What is that?" she asks. I shake with my shoulders. She replies: "I'll bring scissors."

Five seconds later, I'm with a pair of scissors in my hands, opening the package. I sigh as I get to see what's inside. It's the painting. Le baiser. The Kiss. The painting I wanted. And with it, in a messy handwriting, a little note saying: "Hope you'll like it, Foxy". Oh. My. Gosh. He bought me the painting. He got me the painting.

Dia also can't believe it, since her eyes wide open and asks: "Who is this from?"

"I don't know," I lie. She notices, yet doesn't ask any further questions. Nini on the other hand, who as on cue enters through the door and sees the painting, stares at it for a few seconds then looks up at me and says: "Between you two is nothing my ass." Then smirks. And I can't help but blush.

One hour later, I'm staring at the painting which meanwhile hangs in my room. I don't know what to do. I know the price of it. How much Alec had to pay for it. It's enough. More than enough. I should say thank you. Yet, I don't know how.

Again as on cue, my redhead bestie enters through the door and analyzes the scene. Me staring contemplating at a kissing painting I got from the college's bad boy. After a while, she lets out:"I hope you're not imagining weird stuff or I'll put that painting down."

"No weird stuff," I assure her chuckling.

She nods, then heads to her wardrobe.

"Where are you going?" I ask, since she pulls out the shortest dress she owns. 

She tenses and answers: "A date."

I am not planning on letting that go so easily: "Oh, a date. With?"

"A guy." Not so talkative Nini.

"Who?"

"You don't know him. Just a guy from my major."

"Name?" I ask insisting.

"Connor. Connor Trew," she answers after a while giving up. I smirk at her.

She wants to head out, as I stop her. "Hey, Nini?"

She comes back into the room and says: "Yes, Soph?"

The next question takes such a great effort to speak out, that it makes me sweat: "Do you maybe have Alec's phone number?"