Dinner

I sat down across from Alastor, a waiter setting a wine glass and a set of silverware rolled in a napkin before me. Carefully watching him, I picked up the glass and took a drink, surprised at the rich, full-bodied flavor of the wine. When I had gained an ounce of liquid courage, I set down my glass and looked the Radio Demon in the eye.

"Why did you drag me out of my home?" I asked, point-blank. 

Alastor laughed, "Mermaids are a rare sort down here. I wanted to see one up close for myself. If we are asking questions, I must ask the obvious one. How did you get legs?"

It was a fair question. I shrugged as if it was no big deal, "I have my ways."

As we spoke, the waitstaff brought out several dishes of expensive-looking pastas and appetizers. Alastor motioned for me to serve myself first, continuing to play the role of the gentleman. When we were settled with our food, he said, "Was there something you wanted beyond an apology? Money, favors?"

I scowled. What kind of sinner did he think I was?

"I just want you to know what you did was despicable," I replied curtly, "I don't want a damn thing from you."

My rude tone made the wait staff flinch, but Alastor grinned. The food in my stomach rolled, and I mentally kicked myself for my lack of control.

"How refreshing," Alastor mused, "You are quite something else, my dear. We will have to have dinner again soon."