Chapter 31: Starving hearts.

Tsireya sighed in front of the mirror, the hairbrush in her hands combed her curls roughly as she grew agitated by the second, and after a particular knot had sent shivers of pain down her spine she slammed the brush against the dresser, finally giving up.

Her hair had always been difficult to manage. It was curly and messy, it often got tangled between her fingers, and every time she tried to brush it didn't only hurt, but it also made her think of her mother.

Her mother's hair was beautiful. Long and shiny, with beautiful curls that were often held together by two tiny braids coming from each side and meeting in the back of her head. She always took great care of her hair, but sadly she never taught her daughter how to.

Tsireya grew up having to comb her hair by herself every night and every morning. She disliked others doing it for her since the time she was so insistent that her mother finally lost it and brushed her hair so roughly that it made her cry.

Tsireya never asked again.

A knock on the door snapped her out of thought. It was late and everyone was already sleeping or still in the main hall, so found herself surprised at the sight of Lo'ak grinning at her and leaning against the door frame. She pulled him inside, afraid of anyone seeing them.

"I thought you say you were going back to the party."

"Well, I was." He shrugged as he sat at the foot of her bed. "But after walking you to your room, going back there wasn't fun anymore."

"What about Kiri and Ro?" Tsireya approached him as he went to grab her hands lovingly.

"Liri said she left early, and I haven't seen Rotxo since the first dance ended." He shrugged.

"He must be hiding, he doesn't like loud places." Tsireya chuckled and walked away to sit in front of the dresser once again.

"What were you doing?"

"I was trying to brush my hair." She sighed, watching him through the mirror as he stood behind her. "Although, unsuccessfully." She continued with the task, her hand moving brusquely as a wince escaped her lips.

"Gentle!" Lo'ak took her wrist stopping her, stunned by the sight.

"My hair does not know the word." She laughed it off. "I have to be rough or else it will never detangle." She heard him click his tongue as he took the hairbrush from her hands. "What are you doing?"

Without uttering a word he took a section of her hair in his hand and began brushing it, slowly and gently, putting all his dedication where more attention was needed.

Tsireya watched him through the mirror waiting to catch a glimpse of his face twitching in frustration or annoyance, but it never happened, instead, Lo'ak wore the faintest of smiles on his lips. It was imperceptible, but to Tsireya was enough o make her chest tighten.

"If we have a daughter I hope she has your hair." He said in a quiet voice as he caressed one of her locks.

"What?" Despite hearing it, she believed her ears were playing a trick on her. She kept her eyes on his reflection, waiting for him to repeat himself, but Lo'ak only smiled.

"There." He crouched down to her level, leaving their faces side by side. They watched each other through the reflection for a moment. "Should I braid it? That way it doesn't get damaged or tangled while you sleep." She stayed silent. "Star?"

He turned his head to look at her and in that moment Tsireya leaned forward to kiss him. It was short and sweet, but enough to take him by surprise.

"Thank you." She whispered, looking at him with wide teary eyes and a soft smile.