Three

Three

I loved working with Lee and his daughter, as well as the other employees. They all made me feel welcomed and it was a joy getting to know them. For the first time in my life, I was surrounded by friends, people who genuinely cared about me. I felt so blessed.

When I was not working, I kept myself busy, reading and studying things on my own. Lee kept me stocked with books and had given me a beautiful Bible, which I spent countless hours reading. I also purchased a supply of stationary and writing tablets, building upon the meager education I received. Truthfully, my poor grades hadn't been the teachers' fault. As a child, I had been so preoccupied with abuse at home, I couldn't function enough emotionally to concentrate in my classes–at least, not until Yeshua stepped in and sheltered me. But even then, it was still hard to focus. Now, I was able to catch up.

There happened to be a martial arts school a block away from the restaurant, and for the next couple of years, I took classes at night, earning my black belt in no time because of all the experience I already had.

Lee eventually promoted me from washing dishes to waiting tables. I saved every penny I made in tips along with a chunk of each paycheck, finally having enough money to buy a nice motor scooter. I dreamed of the day that I could trade the scooter for a car and travel to other places.

Sadly, on my twentieth birthday, Lee died after a year-long battle with colon cancer, and I was crushed. He had been like a father to me, the kind of father I'd always wanted, and his daughter, Ling, like an older sister. She closed the restaurant for a week while we mourned our loss.

~~~~~

It was hard for Ling to continue without her father. And when she decided to sell the restaurant six months later, I knew the time had come for me to leave. Where I would go, I had no idea. But I would always be grateful to the Lord for Lee and Ling, for their kindness, and for taking me into their lives and family. I would miss them and my coworkers very much.

"Where do I go, Lord?" I asked during my prayers the night Ling sold the place. "Where would You have me go? Except for You, Yeshua, I have no one. Other than my friends here, I don't know anyone else. Please lead me to where You would have me go."

Ending my prayer, I got in bed and turned off the lamp. Where do I go, Lord? I silently pleaded again.

Sleep, beloved, came His soft reply. I will go before you. For now, just sleep.