16.

~•~•~𝐎𝐧 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐞

~•~•~
𝐎𝐧 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐞.
~•~•~

I can't believe it. What does Peeta do with them? I can't figure things out, firstly how did they decide to spare his life and secondly why is he with them? Trying to see if it's really him, I stagger and almost fall out of the tree. Good thing I'm smart enough to remember to tie myself to the tree. The problem is that the rustling was certainly heard and anyone nearby could hear it. 

Oh, no 

"Did you hear that?" Clove asks. 

"A bird must be rustling in the trees. I don't think it's important." Cato says. Thank God, they believe him.

"Whatever. Come on lover boy, go kill the girl." Glimmer tells him and I can hear Peeta's footsteps going to the almost-dead girl. I see Clove and the boy from District 1 move on, but Cato and Glimmer stay by my tree for a moment. I want to hear what they'll say to each other. 

"Stop calling him that." The boy says to her. 

"What does it matter? We'll kill him anyway after we find the girl. We can even kill them together." The girl? It takes me a moment to realize that the "girl" they're talking about is me. Is that their plan? Their biggest goal right now is to kill me. 

"Leave the girl to me. I will decide what to do with her." Is Cato the one who wants to kill me? I knew I shouldn't fall for his tricks. It was all just a role and nothing more.

"Whatever you want." I hear that she also goes to the others. 

Cato, however, remains in the same place. I wonder why, but then I see him raise his head towards the tree where I am. And there they are again, his eyes meeting mine. Thousands of thoughts run through my head that he will call out and say that he found me. But not. He just stands there and looks at me without saying anything.

"Come on, Cato!" He looks at me for a few more seconds and then walks away.

What was that? Until a minute ago he was talking about wanting to kill me, but now he had the chance to do it. I can't figure out what games he plays. I can't trust him. Haymitch was right, I can't trust anyone in the arena. The kind Peeta, with whom I spent that week, disappeared. After all, I'm alone in this place, I can't have friends.

I tell myself I should stop thinking about it too much. I'd better get rid of my emotions, but it's hard for me after that strange behavior from Cato. I'm still thankful he didn't tell anyone, but I still don't know what his strategy is. I'm trying to figure out what kind of person he is, but with these mixed signals, it's impossible.

I decided to sleep because I can barely keep my eyes open anyway.

~•~

I wake up to a loud noise. I open my eyes and see the misty forest in front of me. Fire, everything around me is on fire! I immediately untie the rope with which I had tied myself. I find it difficult because my hands are shaking, but once I succeed, I grab the sleeping bag and stuff it into my backpack. I crumple to the ground and for a moment everything is a blur.