hearing him sing "so lonely" for the first time

please watch this if you haven't already, this video really means a lot to me, and it really makes me feel things. so that's kinda why i wrote this story. i recommend reading first and then listening if you can.

1987

andy had told you shortly before you embarked on his first solo tour (for his album xyz) that he had a surprise for you. you didn't know what he meant by that, but you were intrigued and excited to see what had up his sleeve.

once you got backstage with him, you gave him a huge hug. "you can do this, andy! i believe in you!" you told him with a bright smile on your face.

"why thank you, sweetheart, you're my number one fan!" andy said with a chuckle and a smile on his own face.

"i am! and i love you lots." you added before giving him a kiss on his lips. an encouraging kiss at that.

"now go kick ass!" you exclaimed and playfully slapped his shoulder, making him chuckle at your never-ending enthusiasm for him.

"thanks, y/n. i love you lots as well." he replied, and reached for his guitar and headed out onto the stage.

———

now, you didn't know exactly when this surprise of andy's was, but you didn't mind waiting at all in the least. you were incredibly happy just to watch him play and sing.

you loved him, and xyz.

soon enough, he finished singing his songs from xyz and clapped to capture everyone's attention.

"now!" he began. "i have a surprise for you all! i'm going to be singing a special song, for the grand finale. i think you'll love it very much..." with that he counted off and everyone began playing.

and once he started singing you knew the song instantly. it brought tears to your eyes. so lonely.

that was one of your favorite police songs. and you remember very vividly them filming the video for it. in a bus station of sorts.

and hearing andy sing it at this time, given the situation of the police, made you feel things. since you had been married to andy since the mid sixties, it managed to make you feel things even more.

love, gratefulness, sadness, even lust.

you watched with tears in your eyes and a smile on your face. and when he looked at you halfway through the extra long solo, you held up your hands in the shape of a heart. it made andy smile. your small loving gesture.

———

"andy!" you exclaimed after you found him backstage. "did you like the surprise?" andy asked with a smile. you threw your arms around him. "yes!"

andy hugged you back, hearing you cry tears of pure joy and pure love.

"that really touched my heart, andy," you whispered into his hair. andy leaned away from you softly, and you gingerly pressed a kiss to his lips.

"i love you, andy. i always will."