🪨 2 - Foundation

The Glacier Spirit Festival might be my new favorite thing about the South Pole. Watching the whole Tribe get together and get along so nicely reminds me that this is something Air Nomads have in common with the Water Tribes: we treat our own like family. Of course, the people of the Water Tribes take it even further and have a system where each one of them has something to offer the rest of the village, whether it be hunting, cooking, healing, taking care of the children. But tonight, everyone is invited to watch the Spirits light up the tundra sky with their colorful energy.

"The Glacier Spirit Festival is a time for reflection and insight. Our ancestors began this tradition thousands of years ago to reconnect our souls with Spiritual energy. From the great Ocean Spirit from whom we learned the art of waterbending, to the mystical Moon Spirit who controls the tides and allows us to live our lifestyle in peace. Let us be thankful and learn from them to become an even better version of ourselves than we could ever imagine!" Chief Hakoda's words make everyone cheer, as the chanting and singing continues around us.

It's nice to feel surrounded by people again. After all my time flying around, I'd almost forgotten what it felt like not to be alone. The atmosphere is so warm and friendly, it almost makes me forget about the cold. Almost.

Katara hands Aang and me some sea prune soup bowls. "I remember how much you liked this!"

Aang and I force a smile and take a reluctant gulp of sea prune soup. "Yum."

"Aang, why don't you try to get into the Avatar Spirit tonight? The Spiritual energy must be really high right now," Katara suggests, but Aang once again seems uneasy.

"Yeah... Maybe going into the Avatar State isn't a good idea, especially with all these people around."

"What do you mean? I thought you could control it after you defeated Ozai," I ask him with a frown.

"I could... for a while. But lately, it's been a bit out of control. I just don't feel like it would be safe right now," Aang replies, and before I can ask anything else about the subject, we hear the loud voice of someone we could recognize virtually anywhere.

"OOH IS THAT SEA PRUNE SOUP! GIMME!" He snatches my bowl without questioning it and begins chugging down the disgusting soup. I'm not even angry because I am simply too happy to see him again.

"Sokka!" I say, airbending the soup away from him and hugging him tightly. He seems a bit disappointed for the first few seconds, but responds by hugging me back.

"Hey there, airbenders," he says with a grin, as he steps away from me and nods towards Aang approvingly. "Long time no see."

"Would it kill you to be on time for once?" Katara complains loudly to her brother. "Dad was hoping you'd be the one to give the speech to the village tonight."

"Oh, really? That sounds very important," I tell Sokka, raising an eyebrow. "Hakoda seems to be trusting you with many new responsibilities."

"Yeah, sure. He's doing everything in his power to groom me to be the next Chief," Sokka grunts, snatching away Aang's bowl of sea prune soup and drinking it.

"I'm confused. Isn't that a good thing?"

"Don't listen to Mr. Grumpy over here. He's just sad because he had to say goodbye to Suki again and won't see her in a few months," Katara retorts, rolling her eyes.

"Well, you're wrong. Because I didn't see Suki."

"Weren't you at Kyoshi Island?" Aang asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, but she wasn't. Apparently she's been busy protecting the Fire Lord from attempted assassinations. Again."

"What? Someone's trying to kill Zuko?" I ask, my eyes widening.