𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

ততততত

𝐓 𝐎 𝐁 𝐈 𝐍

Muffled voices echo through the desolate lockup, sounds so foreign when I've grown accustomed to taming the raging infection developing from the wound in my leg. The infection disorients me, and I can hardly keep my head upright without the world tilting south. Through the haze of my half conscious mind, I try to make sense of how much time has passed. Hours? Days? Weeks? A part of me wishes I was dead. The little bit of sanity left in me knows I need to be alive.

For Imogen.

I couldn't stop the betrothal, couldn't do a damn thing about it. I watched her agree to be his wife, and in that moment, she was handed over to him. If only I could find my sword and jab it straight into his heart, only now, I won't hesitate. I'll never fucking hesitate.

Damn my soft heart for making me a fool like this.

The iron doors creak open, and two soft patters of boots enter into my cell. I hardly lift my head to gaze upon the strangers.

"You're lucky he just survived through the wedding with Leighton's men," the first man says. "It was a risk to make such a bargain. Leighton believes you're executing him with rash anger."

"I know," a familiar voice speaks. I've heard this man before. "It took everything in me to convince him to let me deal with his punishment. Leighton insisted that the boy was his to slaughter for his own, but the attempt to kill him happened on Lagulonian soil, and he couldn't reason with that."

"Does the princess know about this? Of what you've done?"

"I couldn't tell Imogen," the man steps towards where I lay. The mere mention of 'Imogen' sends my mind on a delirious trip. "If Leighton knew I turned on our bargain, he'd bring harm to her. This was the only way I could spare Tobin. His father told me he was a warrior. If he loves my daughter, I knew he'd fight to stay alive."

"He's been down here for days without proper care—"

"I understand that," the man snaps. Two fingers press against the pulse in my neck, and I flinch at the contact. Oddly warm. I'm not sure why I expected them to be cold. "He won't have to stay another night in these cells. If Berin knew what I've done to his son, he'd be chasing me up the mountains with a spear."

He removes his fingers from my pulse, only to have his touch return down near the frayed blood-stained fabric around my trousers. A blistering wound leaches from my flesh, one cleansed in the dirty earthen stone beneath me. No wonder it's infected. As long as it's not infected beyond repair.

"Lorcan," the voice comes out in a powerful command, "get the servants to draw him a bath, and schedule the medics in for his leg. We've wasted enough time already."

"Yes, my king."

Lorcan exits the cell as instructed. The black veil of the dungeon encases around me, a strangely familiar scene that always reminds me of the gates of death I met long ago. My father carried me out of that bloodied courtyard.

Today, the arms of Imogen's father unlock each chain one by one. This is the man that sent her to Adorid, the same man that trapped me in iron chains. I shouldn't be thankful for his presence, and I won't view him as a saviour.

Yet, he takes his hand in mine, clasping tightly when I leave mine limp.

"I made a grave mistake, Tobin," he mumbles under his breath. He made the biggest mistake. If it weren't for him, Imogen would still be in this castle, safe from the calamity unfolding across the lands. "So it's time to bring her back to the kingdom where she belongs."

Those words are the last I hear before I descend into sick madness.

𝐃𝐀𝐘𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐊 𝐁𝐄𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐒 𝐈𝐍 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊 𝐓𝐖𝐎

── •✧• ──