-Chapter♛♚OneHundredThirty-

✧FINDING A BALANCE✧

◊━━━━━✥━━━━━◊

***

"Mav, I said I'm fine," Rhea answered, for what felt like the twelfth time just that morning. With a three-day weekend heading her way, she knew that it was just the beginning.

"The bags under your eyes say differently." He countered, and Rhea simply directed her eyes down back to her clipboard. "It's what happens when you lose a few hours of sleep, I'll get them all accounted for this weekend. Promise."
"Then what? You're scheduled for four days in a row—"
"I know my schedule, Mav." She shot back, but the clear sign of aggravation was getting to her as she brought the palm of her hand to her temple.

"Look, I'm doing my best to pull through, alright? I want to finish these hours before Alfie is scheduled for the tonic, that's all. Whatever he's said to you, it's fine, I'll handle it."
"But I feel like a downright arse not trying to help you, Rhee."
"What are you going to do? Take my shifts? You're already working yourself to the bone, I don't want to put worry on you either...I'll sort this through. And besides, I'm almost done." She offered a smile before departing down the hall, but even he knew a lie such as that.

Rhea Black was a motivated individual, but there were hardly any that crossed Maverick's mind as being selfless to this point. No, he would have a talk with his own supervisor about this circumstance, it was unfair at best.

However she had managed, Rhea had returned the faithful afternoon to Alphard's room with a smile on her face and company already present—Given that Orion was in one of the spare armrests with mountains of papers and portfolios around.

"Ah, have we had a productive afternoon?" She asked, sparing a glance at Orion to see if there was any doubt in his expression, but he managed to supply a smile.

A genuine one at that. "Oh yes, things are getting back on track. Though I must say, your room was much better during your stay." Orion teased, and Rhea slumped her satchel to the ground and took refuge at the second armrest closer to Alfie.

"I was being treated for a painful curse. This is a bit different, brother."
"I didn't say it wasn't, but fortunate to have a private room. I've seen a few double up, can't that spread things quicker?"
"The hospital can only do so much, the floor itself used to be a part of the heart floor. Besides, the ones who need immediate care are here, others can travel back and forth from home." Alfie grinned, knowing that he too would be able to do that soon enough.

The mere thought of getting to stretch and enjoy his personal study or even share a bed with his wife again was causing his heart to ache. She had even mentioned in passing that the question about continuing a bit of sexual activity was being answered soon.

So there was plenty to look forward to, if only Rhea would seem to settle down for just a bit. Instead, she leaned down to Orion for a moment to whisper in his ear.

Without another second of hesitation, he jumped to his feet and ushered to the door. Claiming to get a bit of coffee for everyone and biscuits.

"You sent him for coffee and biscuits?"
"I sent him out of the room because I don't appreciate you going to my supervisor and asking him to be easy on me." Alphard recoiled in the instant as he frowned, clearly, he had been outed, though it was for a very valid reason.

"Love—"
"This job is stressful, and if I can't handle my personal life, that looks horrible. It reflects badly on my part."
"No, love. It doesn't. It reflects honesty. There are plenty of families that cannot manage." It was pointless to fight, pointless to argue, but the way Maverick was speaking suggested that he wasn't going to give up so easily.