1- [Dex] Black Skies

FLIGHTLESS by Fhrell Cee

A/N: Hey guys, I don't know why I keep writing new things even thought my other books are not finished. But these ideas just beg to be written. I hope you all like it. ~fCee

1- [Dex] Black Skies

I let the wind touch my face as I feel the edge of the cliff I stood at. The smell of flowers reached my nose as my eyes looked below. They grew everywhere down the meadow, dancing as the wind sings to them. The world had already recovered and it was more beautiful than it was in the books that I have read.

I closed my eyes and took a step at the edge letting the wind carry me as gravity slowly pull me down.

In the year 2020, the third world war had started mostly due to territorial dispute and greed. And like with all wars, no one won. Atomic bombs were released causing huge destructions that caused the Earth's mantle to move. Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions destroyed the Earth's crust causing huge gravitational disruptions. This made the possibility of Islands floating in the air.

And soon, what remained of humans and animals evolved with the earth to adapt to the floating islands.

I opened my eyes as I felt the ground getting nearer. I moved my hands to the side, relaxing my back as I felt the feathers slowly moving out of a small flexible slit at my back. I spread my wings wide for air resistance, gliding on top of the kaleidoscope of colors reflecting the bright sun. Then I flapped my wings lifting myself back to the edge of the cliff where I started.

The People of the past didn't know the feeling of flying, how freeing it could feel. Although I've heard they flew using a device called airplanes. I don't think it felt the same.

I stepped my feet back on the edge of the cliff, retracting my wings when a great wind blew me off. I struggled with balance, but I still fell.

I dropped with my back facing the ground while facing the sky that had turned black. A few black feathers fell as the huge wings of the dark league occupied the sky.

I forgot.

It's supposed to be today, the day they visit again. I surely wasn't looking forward to this.

I sighed.

"Great!" I spat in irony.

What was supposed to be a start of a good day started turning sour. I just have to go back to my secret spot again to hide until they go away, a spot where the Town Guards won't be able to find me.

"I like your wings."

I froze as a deep voice came from a Blackwing that hovered just inches above my face. I couldn't see his face due to the sun shining behind him. But the shadow he casted made me know that he was larger than I am, much larger.

"I'll see you at the harvest. I'll find you!"

And a strong wind blew the petal under my feet as the Blackwing flapped his wings almost blowing me down as well. I flapped my wings to pull me up standing in midair watching as the arrogant Blackwing followed his flock. His pair of wide black wings spread nearly two meters.

"I'll be searching for you at the town square, so don't be late," he commanded which gave me shivers.

But I won't be there. Hell, I'd rather die than become a Blackwing's consort.