16

Knox's fingers drummed against his steering wheel as he drove us to Liam's house. I fiddled with the end of my shorts, my legs tightly crossed as I sat in the passenger seat. A dull ache still lingered in the pit of my stomach from the feel of his hands - I tried to ignore it but was failing miserably.

I had grown familiar with Liam's house now as it was often the place we went the most after school. His parents had a habit of not being home and it was a spot well suited for entertaining.

Knox and I walked in but found the inside of the house to be empty. Knox made a move to grab my hand as he led us through the house but I strategically moved my hand out of his reach. Maybe it was petty - bratty, he liked to say - to throw a fit like this but I couldn't help unleashing the frustration he built up in me before we left.

His eyes narrowed as he clocked the movement but he didn't say anything. Instead he opened the sliding glass door, revealing Liam and Sean sitting on bar stools at an outdoor kitchenette.

I spotted another girl laid on a beach lounger in the sun, seemingly napping.

"Well if it isn't my favorite person." Sean grinned my way. I tried to hide my surprise as it was normally Liam who did the teasing. It was a rare occasion to see Sean in such a good mood - certainly a mood that would make him declare me his 'favorite person.'

I could practically hear Knox's eyes roll next to me.

"Hi, Sean." I greeted, smiling back at him.

If working Knox up was the only way I could get back at him for leaving me hanging like that then so be it. A dangerous game but one I was also willing to play.

Sean quirked a brow in mild surprise but his grin didn't falter. Knox ignored us as he walked around to a mini fridge hidden in the counter and grabbed a beer.

"Anything to drink, Annie?" Liam asked, being ever the most excellent host.

I shook my head, smiling 'thanks' in his direction. I could feel Knox's stare burning through the side of my head. How he could get worked up so easily when all I did was smile - at his friends no less - was beyond me.

Regardless, I was hoping to use it to my advantage.

Choosing to ignore him, I walked over to where the unknown girl laid. Setting the towel I brought down on the lounger next to hers, I confirmed that she was indeed napping. She was beautiful - her tan skin was glowing and her dark brown hair shined in the sunlight. Half her face was covered with her arm and yet it was still very easy to tell how pretty she was beneath it.

Pool water splashed at my feet drawing my attention away from the girl. Sean had jumped in and was now resurfacing, pushing his hair back out of his face. Knox was leaning against the bar, sipping on his drink while Liam talked to him.

Thinking for a split second, I made my decision. I had come here to swim so swimming is what I shall do.

I quickly pulled my tank top off and dropped it next to my towel before stepping out of my shorts and doing the same. I could feel his gaze burning into me again but I didn't let myself think about it before I turned and jumped into the water.

Its effect was instant, successfully cooling me off as the sun shined brightly overhead.

I, too, pushed my hair out of my face, gasping for air once I broke the surface. Treading water, my eyes found Sean a few feet away doing the same. Normally I would look away, avoiding prolonged eye-contact at all costs but Knox had brought something out of me earlier - something that wanted to test the limits a bit.

"Do you know how to float on your back?" I asked Sean.

His eyes glinted with mischief - as if he understood exactly what I was trying to do - as he studied my face before responding, "Do you not?"