𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑋𝐿𝑉

~The Holly and the Ivy~

November, The Palace of Placentia....

"Have you finalised the guests you shall invite to your Christmas Court, sister?" Anne asked as she brushed out Constance's hair for bed, combing through the brown curls until they hung in a satin curtain down her back.

The royal family would be returning to Westminster at the beginning of December and the King and Queen had planned for the Christmas to count for two since the Christmas of 1471 was steeped in doom.

"I think I have all but finished" She replied, raising her hands so Katherine and Lizzie could removed the rings and bracelets she wore while Isabella rolled her embroidered stockings down her legs "Each of your families are invited of course, as are our normal court attendants. I cannot wait to see your children again Beth!"

Beth smiled at her in dressing table the mirror from where she folded the Queen's blue gown over her arm along with the veil of her hennin.
"They long to see you too!" She replied "The boys worship the ground you walk on and Princess Marie does adore little Elizabeth!"

"I've had my musicians compose new pieces for this season!" Constance continued, thinking of the delightful melodies they'd played for her and Edward that afternoon, leading to lasting applause from both but then, she sighed. There had been one person playing on her mind as she organised for the Christmas season, a person she mostly couldn't bear to think of but had made pity prick at her heart.

"There is...." She paused for a moment, looking at the length of ribbon her fingers had begun to play with. Anne tilted her head, taking the ribbon to tie the end of the braid she'd woven with the Queen's hair.
"There is?" She repeated.
"There is one other person I should like to ask to the festivities"

"Oh?" Isabella said with a smile "May we know who?"

"Arthur"

The collective gasps that flew around her chamber were clearer than day and all of her ladies looked at each other with wide eyes. Surely, they thought her mad, she mused, and if it were any other month she would've readily agreed with them.
"Arthur?" Anne echoed "The whore's son?"

Constance nodded.
"Yes"
"Are you...."
"Mad? I do not believe so, sister, but Edward may think me so when I ask him. We have all endured a difficult year and, while I do not like the boy, he is only a child and he has suffered too. He was in sanctuary for six months!"

"Any poor soul sentenced to six months with that woman is certainly to be pitied!" Katherine remarked and Constance smiled.
"They certainly are! His brother is too young to have here and so shall stay at Grafton with the whore but I would like to summon Arthur to court. He....he deserves a bit of light after the darkness he has endured"

Her ladies raised their eyebrows at her words but there could be no doubt of the admiration in their gazes.
"You are a better woman than I" Anne said and the others nodded their agreement.
"I think it's very nice, your grace!" Lizzy praised "and it should be known it was you who summoned him, not his grace the King"