PROLOGUE

SELENE

I could feel every wave that greets the ship that I am boarding. No matter how accustomed my body is to long journeys, I can't help but feel dizzy and nauseous. I think it was because of the island that I can now gradually catch a glimpse of alongside the rising sun.

"What are you doing up here?" I turned to an old man who seemed to have just woken up.

"Just getting some fresh air," I replied and gave a small smile and nod as a sign of respect.

I returned my gaze to the island before I heard the old man cough and asked, "Is it your first time going to Mindoro?"

"No, sir. I was born and raised in Mindoro." I wanted to end the conversation quickly because I didn't want to recount the things I was determined to forget when I left the province. It isn't necessary for me to share my life story with an old man I didn't know.

The sun rose higher, and I immediately felt its intense heat. 'The heat in the Philippines is different now because of Global Warming and Climate Change.'  I tried to look at the sky, but not even within five seconds, I was forced to close my eyes and look down.

"It seems like Apolaki's anger has intensified with the scorching heat of the sun, even though it's only six in the morning." After saying this, he went down to the ship's deck, leaving me feeling even more dizzy because of his remarks. 

'Apolaki? The God of Sun and War of the Tagalog? It seems some people still believe in gods and goddesses from Philippine mythology.' For the first time since I received a call from my Tita Helen, I laughed. 'That was crazy.'

When I finally got off at the port, I traveled for several hours in a public van heading to San Jose, Occidental Mindoro. The vehicle was crowded, adding to the heat that I was feeling. After a while, I saw the length of the Pandurucan River. Its color was now closer to black than the clear water it used to be. I couldn't help but stare at the river—it still looked deep and enchanting despite the obvious changes. I saw children rafting, just like I used to do with my cousins.

As our van passed over the bridge, I can no longer saw the river. Noise and the bustling of the town greeted us, where people walked on the side of the paved road carrying their baskets and bags from the market. Various types of vehicles--from motorcycles, tricycles to colorful cars--filled the streets. 

The town was busy and filled with people because Christmas was just a week away. Every building we passed were adorned with Christmas decorations and different carolings can be heard from big speakers outside every shop.

"We're here!" shouted the driver as he haphazardly got off the van and opened the door for his passengers.

I took a deep breath in preparation, clutching the bags filled with the few set of clothes I own. 'It seemed like there were only two changes here-- the river and my heart.' 

As I set foot in this place again, the memories of my departure five years ago came flooding back.