3. Raid & Idunn

soon enough there was a storm. "Thor!" Rollo shouted as Ragnar moved to the sail. "should the sails be down?" Ragnar yelled at Floki but no answer. "Floki!" I yelled. "yes, let the sails down or we shall get caught and sink in the waves!" he shouted back as we began to let the sails down before putting the tent up before Rollo yelled for the men to row. 

Lindsterne Monastery 

Kingdom of Northumbria, England

a young slave girl with bright red hair and blue eyes steps into the scripture room of the Monastery. many of the monks sat there writing their religious agendas as the slave girl gave one of the monks the drink they asked for. the slave girl didn't have a name nor an age. She was told almost nothing of her life only that she was from a land called Ireland and she was given to the Monastery three years prior. she still had her accent and still somehow knew the Celtic language. the monks flinched with fright when thunder released in the sky. the girl moved to the window and saw the pouring rain and dark sky. the monks went back to work as the girl left the room to continue cleaning.

Back with Ugla

"Are you afraid?" Ragnar asked Floki who was on the floor of the boat shivering. "yes, Ragnar LothBrok. I am afraid." he answered. "but not for me. I am afraid for my boat." Floki continued as Ragnar took a bite of his chicken leg. "Thor is sticking his anvil. he is angry with us." Rollo spoke as Ragnar stood up. "he wants to sink us." he continued as Floki thought for a moment before smiling. "it's true. Thor is beating his hammer. the lighting is the sparks from his anvil. but he is not angry with us. I understand now. why should he be angry with us? why should he want to sink our boat? don't you understand? he's celebrating. he's full of good news. he wants to show everybody that he can't sink this boat. he loves this boat. it's my boat. the gods love this boat. why should-" Floki ranted as he stood up and stood at the edge just before a wave washes over him shutting him up. "I believe Floki has completely lost his mind, boys." I said as my brothers laughed at the situation. "Floki, sit down! remember you can't swim!" Ragnar yelled as Floki laughed hysterically and sat down. 

Lindsterne Monastery 

the priests sat in their bedrooms looking out the window watching the storm go on. the slave girl sat in her own bedroom opposite of theirs watching the storm. she found it calming. "you seem to be the only one not running for cover from the storm, young one." Father Cuthbert spoke in her doorway. "it's just a storm. it'll pass, Father." the girl said politely. "you are not afraid of the wrath of god?" he asked. "no. dying is a normal thing. everyone passes one day." she said turning to the older man. he shook his head. he never understood why he couldn't make him understand the belief in one god. despite her being from Ireland and remembering most of her years in Ireland she was raised in a part of Ireland that still believed in the Celtic gods. so, she believed in more gods than one. "you should rest, young one. you have to work outside tomorrow." he spoke before closing the door and locking it before walking off. 

Back with Ugla

the sun was up but there was fog covering it. Ragnar was using the stone to find it but couldn't. he sighed defeated as men were exhausted, cold, and angry. "there is no west." a man spoke out of breath from rowing. "we are not sailing towards any new country. but just an open ocean. utterly and completely lost. Kauko, Leif... we have been persuaded by madmen and their whore sister. the god Loki is behind this voyage. that scoundrel, the sly one. troubling and suffering our meat to him" "Shut up man." "No! no." the man ranted long and Truculent. As Ragnar slowly turned his head I rolled my eyes. "if any is mad it is you." Ragnar spoke. "I'm not the one to convince these good men to sacrifice their lives for a dream, an illusion. it wasn't me who joined forces with the sly one to sail west." he spat back as Ragnar turned around. "into nothing. into nowhere." he said as some of the men spat things like he was mad or don't tempt the gods. "oh, here we are, lost. certain to die. for what." he growled. "sit down and shut up." Ragnar spoke calmly, too calmly. "you sound like the sly one. perhaps you are the god of mischief. who sends men mad and sends them to their deaths." he said as Ragnar slowly made his way to the man. "I curse the day that I ever agreed to come with you, Ragnar Lothbrok. for this ship is cursed and we are-" he was cut off after Ragnar stabs him in the neck. killing him instantly. he looked around before looking at Rollo. "release the ravens," he said as Rollo did just that. "if the birds do not return there is land. but if they do...we are sure to die." he spoke. After a while, we heard birds' wings flapping. "they've come back. there's no land." Rollo spoke as the men sighed. I looked out and was shocked. "Seagulls. Seagulls!" I yelled as the seagulls came into view as Ragnar stood next to me and Floki woke up. Ragnar shouted as the men laughed and smiled. Floki stood up putting an arm around my shoulder still comprehending the situation.