Chapter 9

After the emotional upheaval in the guild, Makarov guided Nashi into his office, understanding the need for privacy. Reluctant to separate from her newfound father, Nashi clung tightly to his hand. Sensing the importance of what Nashi had to share, Makarov instructed the rune mage, Freed Justine, to place sound-proofing runes around the office, ensuring their conversation remained confidential, even to the sharp ears of the dragon slayers. Nashi's tears had dried by now, and although she still felt a twinge of embarrassment, Makarov reassured her that crying was a natural human response, and no one thought any less of her. Now they sat in the comforting silence of Makarov's office, waiting for Nashi to gather her thoughts.

"Well, Nashi, I'd first like to introduce myself. My name is Master Makarov, and I am in charge of the guild," Makarov began, his gentle gaze fixed upon the young girl. Nashi stared back at him, her eyes still slightly red from her tears, her curiosity piqued.

"From what I understand, your mother was kidnapped. Can you tell me exactly what happened?" Makarov inquired, his voice filled with concern. Nashi hesitated, memories of her mother's warning echoing in her mind. She wanted to trust Makarov, but she couldn't help but wonder if revealing all the details of that fateful day would put her mother in further danger. Makarov noticed the conflict in her eyes and leaned closer, his words laced with reassurance.

"Nashi, I understand that this situation is incredibly difficult for you. You've lost the person you trust most in the world, and now you're unsure if you can trust us. But know this, you can confide in me with anything. I am your grandfather, after all."

Nashi's eyes widened in astonishment. She resembled a fish caught off guard as Makarov chuckled warmly.

"Well, in a sense, at least. We may not be blood-related, but I consider all my guild members as my children. And since you are the daughter of Lucy Heartfilia and Natsu Dragneel, that makes you my grandchild," Makarov explained, his eyes sparkling with affection. Nashi's mind was blown by this revelation.

"H-How did you know that?" she stammered, unable to contain her curiosity. Makarov sighed and lowered his gaze to his desk, a tinge of sadness crossing his features.

"After your mother left, one of her celestial spirits came to my office, carrying a bundle of letters. They were addressed to me, your mother's friends, and your father. The letter meant for me explained the reasons behind her departure from the guild and requested that I keep it a secret," Makarov revealed, opening one of the drawers and pulling out a book. Placing it before Nashi, her eyes widened in recognition as she realized it was her mother's book.

"But I did my best to keep tabs on her," Makarov continued. Nashi's anxiety began to rise. If the master had made the connection between Lucy Ashley and Lucy Heartfilia, did that mean her mother's friends were aware too? Sensing her unease, Makarov sighed, offering her some reassurance.

"Don't worry about them finding out. Reading isn't exactly my brats' favorite pastime, though I wouldn't be surprised if Levy figured it out upon reading the first paragraph," Makarov confessed, a wry smile playing on his lips. Nashi released a breath of relief, grateful to know that her secret remained intact, known only to Makarov.

Nashi hesitated for a moment, reliving the harrowing events in her mind before continuing with her account.

"After that, Mom summoned one of her celestial spirits, and he attacked one of the men. Mom fought off another one. While they were distracted, she hurriedly took me into her room and used some kind of magic to change her appearance," Nashi explained, her voice trembling slightly with the weight of the memories.

"A new appearance?" Makarov inquired, his curiosity piqued as he raised an eyebrow.

Nashi nodded, her eyes fixated on a spot on the floor as she recalled the details.