The Surprise (Part 1)

"You..."

Laurent blinked as he saw the people seated around the huge oak table adorned with fleurs-de-lys and plump ceramic jugs filled with wine.

It was one of the smaller ballrooms in the palace, used for political meetings or receptions for courtiers requesting an audience.

Waiting for the King of Vere and Damen were some of the best soldiers who had fought by their side almost two years ago: Jord, Lazar, Aktis and Pallas.

Not far away sat the physician Paschal, Loyse de Fortaine and Lord Berenger with Ancel on his lap.

Nikandros also stood with a cup of wine in his hand, conversing with Makedon. Charls, not far away, was wide-eyed and standing in amazement next to his assistant Guilliame.

"We received your invitation, Lamen! Thanks for the honor!" Charls declared, standing up and bowing solemnly.

There were some people who weren't only loyal to Damen and Laurent in their attempt to regain the throne, but who were also on the verge of being beheaded and impaled on a stake for alleged treason against Kastor and the Regent. These were people who were fiercely loyal to the King of Akielos and the King of Vere.

Laurent was used to people always bowing to him, but the blush rose on his cheeks when these people bowed at the same time when he arrived.

He was relieved when Damen waved them all to their feet and preceded them with the words:

"I'm glad you could come to Laurent of Vere's birthday party. Please treat us as friends..."

Laurent's back was a little stiff next to Damen's and he put a hand around his arm to

pull the Akielon man's face a little closer.

"Did you convince the people who were on our side to come to a private party...?"

"No, I didn't have to convince them. I just invited them. Unfortunately, not everyone who fought on our side is here, but it was necessary to leave some people at their posts... Lady Vannes had to take care of the preparations for receiving the entourage of Vask. Lydos is taking care of the accommodations for the troops of Akielos."

Laurent asked:

"Did they come for my birthday?"

"Yes. I thought a private party would be interesting before a political party..."

"Right, thanks."

Laurent's cheeks flushed as he walked alongside Damen toward the guests, and the King of Akielos was well aware of the Veretian man's inability to receive people who were there for him.

Perhaps Laurent was used to using his smoothness, charm, and intelligence in dealing with people in politics; or in the army, where he needed a sharp tongue to command his men. But this was new territory for Laurent.

Laurent wasn't seen with friends. He didn't even let other people near him. But Damen knew he had friends and that he was a young man of twenty-two, even though he ruled a kingdom.

"Exalted, Your Majesty!" greeted Pallas and Aktis as the two kings passed them.

Ancel threw back his flaming hair as he bowed beside Lord Berenger, but he kept a smart smile on his face.

He was obviously a follower of the Akielon and Veretian fashions spread by Charls, and wore a short chiton with bows on the long sleeves.

Lazar stared open-mouthed at the bare legs of Lord Berenger's pet. Lazar definitely had a thing for legs.

"Your Majesties, we're honored by this invitation. The gift in Varenne's name has already been delivered to your servants." Lord Berenger explained with a solemn bow.