Chapter 24

241231

"Come on, Zero!" Carol waved at him and the others with her PDI in hand.

Clearly visible on her PDI was Sora, who was following the festivities via a private livestream from Zero.

"Don't run so far ahead!" Scolded Zero.

"Let her." Chuckled Aki.

"I'll be the one to look for her afterwards...", sighed Zero.

"We'll help you look then." Zane patted him on the shoulder.

"Maybe a leash would be an idea...", Zero imagined how he could just pull Carol back. But he dismissed the thought again. 

The festival was in full swing. It was only ten o'clock, but the streets were already crowded. Throughout New Comound and the surrounding towns, booths had opened, and people were celebrating. Security had been significantly increased, but this was hardly noticeable in the crowds of revelers. There were a few main sites where the celebration was held; the government district, which held a parade; the military base, which made it an open house of sorts; and the largest celebration at the Guardian, which was organized by the Architect Church.

"Wow!" Carol stared at the white spire in the distance as they slowly approached the cordoned off area around the Guardian

The Guardian, was an ancient but high-tech building that stood near New Comound. It was, like most architectural and engineering wonders on Nykara, attributed to the so-called Architect, around which a church had formed. The building itself was comparable to a skyscraper, but at over 4.000 meters it towered over most other buildings on Nykara. It was completely white with some areas where one could see the presumed inner workings of the building. Various energies seemed to pulse through the building, giving the impression that the building had been recently constructed. The Guardian itself was not just the tower, however. Beneath it stretched another facility that seemed to fit seamlessly into its surroundings. A small city had formed around the Guardian itself, composed of research, religious, and even military buildings. There, too, was a happy hustle and bustle: Elves, humans, Mytics and other races ran about in the crowd, while thousands of luminous Spirits, both small and large, floated through the air, shrouding everything in their light.

After a few minutes, Zane and his friends approached the first wall surrounding the facility, which also served as a checkpoint for access. People knelt in front of the wall and began to pray, touching the metallic ground and some even began to cry. It was a sacred place for Architect Church members.