EC 18: Failed and Fear

Mahalia sighed and patted the Alpha on the back, "That's not how an Alpha should be acting. It is not easy but if you remain silent something similar might happen again. Once he wakes up, I suggest that you ask him why he did that. There must be a reason why he wanted to leave this place and I think you already had an idea on what it is." After saying those words, she did not stay any longer and left to let her think some more.

Throughout the night, Amber did not move from where she was sitting and just stayed there while she gazed at her mate. At the crack of dawn, she decided to leave for a while and have a short run to clear her mind.

Xander woke up with the memories of what had happened. The shock of how Amber had suddenly appeared in front of the car was still imprinted in his memory. How could she appear in that place when he was clearly a distance away from the house? This thought lingered in his mind while looking at the familiar ceiling of the same room where he first woke up.

After the run, Ammber felt a lot more refreshed and even her wolf was relaxed. She changed her clothes and heard the shuffling of blankets on the other room so she walked to the hallway to access the door towards the room. She knocked and slowly opened the door then she gave a bitter smile when he saw how he flinched once their eyes met.

"Did you get hurt yesterday?" He asked despite knowing that he was the one who got injured based on the stinging pain on his face and arms that had gotten cut because of the broken window glass.

Amber looked at him with the same smile, "I am fine. I'm the one who should be asking you if you feel fine. Because of what I did, you got into an accident." This mate of hers really had a soft heart that he was asking her if she was alright when he was the one who had fainted due to a slight concussion.

Xander fell silent. He wanted to ask how she appeared there but the words got stuck in his throat. He could only look away because he did not know how to continue the conversation.

"You have asked me before why they call me Alpha and I answered you that it was because I am the one in-charge, well that was basically true but there is another reason as to why I hold that title in this place." Xander looked at her because of those words and their eyes met since Amber was also looking at him.

Her eyes had on a look of determination and her expression was serious that Xander had a sudden feeling of unease at that time. But despite that, he still waited and let her continue what she was saying.

"I'm a werewolf and I am the Alpha of this pack." Amber dropped those statement with her eyes fixed on Xander's now widened eyes.

To say that he was shocked was an understatement, what he was feeling right now was something he could not describe. He was not sure of the words he should say but one thing is sure, "I don't believe you. Werewolves are only fairytales found in books and heard in stories." He blurted out what was on his mind before he closed his mouth to shut himself up.

Amber had expected this, "Yes, it is difficult to believe what I have said but it is the truth. I am the Alpha of Ceurian Pack and we are very much real."

Xander leaned on the bed's headboard with the expressions on his face changing until it settled into a grimace, "I need a proof."

Since she had already made up her mind, Amber stood up and placed the chair on the side to give her more space for what she was about to do.

"If that's what you want, then I'll show you." Without removing her clothes, she shifted on the spot and turned into a large wolf.

Xander's body started to shake in fear as she saw her body changed into that of a wolf. It only took a short time to change into her wolf form but for Xander it was like in slow motion. The memory of the night when he nearly died flashed in his mind and the shaking of his body won't stop.

Amber's silver was not even able to flaunt her wolf because of her mate's terrified reaction. it was clear that he was not fond of this form. With that, she decided to changed back to her human form. She walked towards one of the closets inside the room and shifted. Xander averted his gaze when she saw that she was naked and waited for her to put on her clothes. He heard the opening and closing of the door followed by a voice, "You can stop looking outside now."

He faked a cough before facing the woman once again. "That, I-I am not sure of what to do. This is too much." Now that she was back to being human, Xander was able to slightly calm himself. He moved back when he saw that Amber was approaching him.

His actions did not escape Amber's eyes so she stopped on her tracks. "I'll leave you for now, then. I'll let someone bring up food for you." Without waiting for a reply, she left the room because she also did not know how to face Xander after revealing her secret.

"Will he be alright?" Zael asked after seeing the Alpha returning to her office with a stern face. She sat on the empty seat beside Zael and leaned on it without speaking.

Zael directed his gaze towards Zayier who was sitting across him, both of them had started a conversation through the mind link but both of them ended up not having any answer to their curiosity. Instead of asking again they decided to wait it out.

A room of silence, that's how the Alpha's study had become for almost an hour before Amber decided to speak with her eyes still closed. "Zael don't forget to bring him food," was her only statement and nothing more.

Zael answered with a bit of hesitation, "Alright."

Another round of silence before the brothers finally decided to just let her be and left her alone. They went down to the kitchen to ask the chef to prepare some food for Xander.

"I thought the Alpha had already decided herself that she'll be the only one to prepare and bring food to her mate?" the chef asked in surprise when Zael asked him to prepare food for the man. "Is this related to what had happened last night?"

"The Alpha had already told him about her being a werewolf that's why she can't face him right now. After the incident last night, she must have decided to tell him a piece of the truth." Zael nodded in acknowledgement at the chef's question. The news had already traveled to the pack since some of them had been woken up by the sound of car crashing.

The chef sighed, "Is that so, I hope the Alpha can resolve this matter quickly. We are already excited to officially meet him as our Alpha's mate." He started to prepare a quick meal of vegetable and made sure that the stew he had been boiling since a while ago was cooked perfectly.

The brothers watched as the chef moved in the kitchen. "The whole pack had been waiting for an official statement but since it is a bit complicated, we will have to be patient."

After the food was ready, Zael delivered it to Xander who was currently lost in thought. He quietly placed the tray of food on the mini table and was about to leave but then he heard him ask a question.

"Are all of you in this place werewolves?" he quietly asked but Zael still heard it.

The question made him stop as he sighed. "Yes, and this place rather this territory is where our pack lives," he answered as he turned around and looked at the man.

"Then why am I not allowed to leave or even call my family? Are you going to continue to keep me captive in this place?" there was neither anger nor frustration on his voice, instead it was said in a straight manner, almost to the point of being emotionless.

He knew that these questions were not a good sign and he needed to answer because if he won't tell him anything, the man might start to resent them. "We are not keeping you as a captive, the circumstance is a little bit complicated thus you are not allowed to leave for now but in the future, I'm sure that the Alpha will give you permission."

Xander frowned at his answer and he did not believe any of those words. It was difficult for him to believe them right now. He gritted his teeth and averted his gaze. He was at a lost as to what he should do now, there were too many questions on his mind right now and they did not want to give him the answers.