CHAPTER V: The Present Day

Year two-thousand twenty three—The peak of modernization the Philippines. Cables and wires scatter across the street post along with jeeps and tricycles going on full speed, and the food stalls producing a gripping smell among the people. The clock strikes twelve, thus alarming the students about their noon classes.

“Chua?”
“Present po.”

Elizon?”
“Present.”

“Rodriguez?”

Silence occured in the classroom—yet Mrs. Nicolas wasn’t surprised.

Kung hindi late, absent! Next, Martinez?”

***

Anong pangngalan mo?”

“Christian Carlos Rodriguez po, pero Rico na lang for short.”

“At uh, tell us more about yourself.” Says the clerk confidently, doubting the young man’s intellect. Rico gazed at her glasses, seeing the reflection of his cocoa-colored hair, paired with a tan leather jacket layering his black turtleneck in return.

“Well, I’m a son, a brother, a friend and follower of God.”

His answer surprised the clerk. As she was expecting a typical answer containing adjectives and personal background.

“Kala ko bang nagbabanda ka, pati student?”

“Yes, pero you asked who I was and I responded. ‘Yung banda, it’s more a hobby. Habang ’yung school, I consider it an occupation.”

The clerk gave him a dubious stare.

Sige, balik ka na lang sa opisina ko kapag naipasa mo na sa’kin requirements mo.” The clerk hands him a folder containing documents.

Salamat po.”

The young man left the office with the folder on his hand. He felt confident in the way he responded, and thought about getting the job as he walks through the corridor. Seconds passed, and Rico reached the exit.

“Pasok? Pasok ba!?” exclaimed his friends—Lily, Marco and Matthew.

Hoy, wala pa! Pero sana kasi kailangan ko talaga ’tong trabaho na ’to eh. Pinapa-fill up pa sa’kin ’tong papeles, tapos may requirements pa raw ako... Kaso nga lang, Pre! Ilang oras ako nag-intay roon! Ang gulo sa loob! Tapos ’yung pinakamalamig na kwarto ’yung opisina na!

Sino naman kasing tanga mag-susuot ng leather jacket. Sino ka, si Coco Martin?” Matthew jeers.

“Wala ka lang kasing style. Alam mo naman, first impression is the last impression. Alangan naman pumasok ako doon na naka-sando.”

The peers continue to walk through the city. During their stroll, they spot a local Lugawan in a more secluded area.

“Alam mo, may nakita akong studio eh sa may tabi-tabi. Saktong sakto kasi sabi rito sa documents mo is kailangan mo ng ID Picture, ano pangngalan nun... Basta 'Pascual' something...” Lily shares.

“Nasaan?”

D’yan lang, sa kabilang kalsada, katabi ng warehouse. Medyo nakakatakot kasi walang ilaw sa labas n’un. Kailangan mo pa lumapit para makita ’yung sign. Pati nga minsan, parang nagiging karinderya ’yung nasa spot niya eh. Ang weird.”

Kung ganun, mauna na ’ko. Eto, singkwenta, para may ambag naman ako.”

“Hoy teka lang! ‘Di pa kami tapos kumain!”

Rico placed the 50 peso bill on the table, and left the Lugawan. He ambles through the pavements, until he arrived infront of the studio’s entrance. The wood of the structure was slowly rotting, while the single light flickered per second. Despite an uncanny impression, Rico enters with no hesitation. Inside the studio were walls filled with old, black & white photographs, as well as vintage film cameras encased in glass for collection purposes. The scene reminded Rico of the past, enchanting the young man.

All of a sudden, an old man greeted the astonished Rico.

“Ah!—pasensiya na po. Na-amaze lang po kasi ako sa pader ninyo eh. Mukhang mas matanda pa sa’kin lahat ng naka-frame dito.”

“Sa wakas, someone who appreciates the past as much as I do.”  The old man whispered to himself.

Po?” asked Rico.

“Ma-upo ka na, Hijo. ID Picture ba ang iyong kailangan?”

“Ah, opo. Paano niyo po nalaman?”

“I can tell from the documents you’re holding. Dito mo muna ilapag sa counter ko.”

Rico places his folder along with his jacket on the front counter. Afterwards, the old man made him sat infront the camera.

“Mukhang vintage camera po ginagamit n’yo.” Still greatly fascinated by his surroundings, Rico wore a smile on his face.

“Tama, it is vintage. Now prepare, on the count of three. Maganda ang kuha ng camera na ito—na parang ibabalik ka sa nakaraan!” exclaimed the old man.

The young man released a deep breath followed by a smile.

“One... two... three!”