17. Welcome, Miles (not really)

↳ chapter seventeen ₊˚

↳ chapter seventeen ₊˚.༄
[# welcome, miles]
(not really)

  IVY WAS SURE GWEN HAD CAUGHT HER LOOKING TEN TIMES MORE THAN she told herself not to. It wasn't like the other girl was making an attempt to not look back anyway. It also wasn't helping that they were practically forced to stand side-by-side by the time they stepped off the elevator.

"Yo, this place is wild!" Miles said, eyes wide in awe as he took in his surroundings.

"This is cult headquarters," Ivy says with a small smile, removing her mask that had rested on her neck, holding the piece of red fabric in her hand.

"Wait, did you just say cult?" Miles glanced at her as if he wanted to take back his words about HQ being 'wild'.

Gwen was quick to reassure him. "It's not a cult, she just likes to call it that."

"Because it functions exactly like a cult, except it's only for spider-people so..." The dark haired girl shrugged, her eyes wandering the lobby. On her left, Jess Drew was asking everyone if they've seen their new problem Spot, sparking a wave of jokes that Ivy would consider typical at the HQ.

They continued to walk along the paths in silence. Ivy eventually found herself at the back of the group, which she didn't mind. Except for the fact Gwen Stacy was right in front of her and all she wanted to do was yell 'what are we?'. But impulsive decisions come second.

She walked past the awestruck Miles and slowed her footsteps, hoping the boy wouldn't get lost in the crowd (this was speaking from experience).

"Gwendy, how much have you told him? Hm?" Ivy heard Hobie ask up ahead. "About his place in all this?"

She didn't need to look at the blonde to know that she was on edge. "A little."

Ivy furrowed her brows. She would have joined in on their conversation and double confronted her friend if the sound of distorted grunting hadn't caught her off guard. Going weeks without hearing or seeing a glitch makes the whole concept a tad bit foreign.

"Maybe not enough," Hobie mutters beside her.

"Here," Jess Drew tosses him a red and blue band Ivy had only seen once.

"My own watch!" Miles gasps as he catches the device in his hand.

"It's a day pass, this just keeps you from—" The pregnant Spider-Woman got cut off by another glitch as she walks ahead. "Doing that."

Up ahead, a group of spider people were marching in an ordered formation. Ivy recognized a few and shot them a soft smile and a small bow.

"Hi Ivy," the Peter from earth-850 greeted her.

"Hey Gwen," another Peter said.

"Hey Peters," the blonde girl waved momentarily.

"Hey, I'm Miles." Miles tried to introduce himself, though it was evident no one really batted in eye. "I'm a new recruit."