Chapter Thirteen: Gilmore Edition

A.N// May I present the next evening with the Gilmores before the big reveal of the invitations.

At The Gilmore Residence

"Rory, is there anything specific you'd like to be served at your birthday party this year?" Richard asks, breaking the unusual silence at the dinner table.

"Um," she starts, stuttering slightly, "not that I can think of. I'm sure anything you serve will be wonderful."

"Is there anyone you would like to invite?" Emily asks, "I can make sure to send them a proper invitation, all I need is an address."

"This isn't going to be a huge party," Lorelai intervenes, "right, Mom?"

"It will not be a huge party, Lorelai," Emily says, annoyed with her interjection, "however, this is my granddaughter's 16th Birthday, and I plan to celebrate it as such. Now, Rory, the guest list?"

"Could I invite Lane? She's my best friend in Stars Hollow," Rory asks, if she can get at least a few friends there then it won't be terrible, "and could we also send an invitation to Alice?"

"Your friend Lane is more than welcome," Richard beams before furrowing his brow in confusion, "but why do we need to send an invitation to Alice? She'll be here already. We confirmed this earlier in the week, didn't we?"

Lorelai goes to stop the conversation before Rory can ask more questions, "Guys, now is not the time."

"Mom? Not the time for what?"

"You'll have to tell her eventually, Lorelai. This is getting ridiculous."

"Tell me what?"

"Don't worry about it."

The argument continues for a few more minutes, mostly consisting of pointed glaring and exasperated sighs.

By the end of dinner, Lorelai has attempted to get her parents to forget the idea of having Rory attend whatever extravagant party they have planned, but instead, all she can manage is to ask Rory if she's up for more than one party this year.

Meanwhile At The Haydens'

"Hey Dad, got a question for you." I interrupt the work ambiance he has going, "dad-rock" softly playing through the stereo as he types on his computer, knocking lightly on the door frame.

"Sure thing, kid. What can I help you with?" With that, I fully walk into the room, sitting in the armchair facing his desk, my leg nervously bouncing once I'm seated.

"Has Rory been told about the party Grandma is hosting?"

Dad takes a moment before finally nodding.

"So, does this mean she finally knows?" I ask, only becoming more nervous. I'm not entirely sure if this nervous is excited or terrified, but it's there and not leaving.

"I'm sorry, Ali," he says, moving away from the keyboard to look at me, "I keep trying to get her to tell Rory, but she won't listen."

"How am I going to explain both of our names are listed on the invitation?" At this point my legs are bouncing enough to create a small earthquake along the eastern seaboard, "She's going to hate me and think I did this on purpose. I just...Dad, we just started being friends."

"I know, sweetie. She won't hate you. She might be a little upset, but she won't hate you." He's come around the desk now and is kneeling in front of me, hugging me tightly while rubbing my back.

"Are you sure?"

He pulls away from the hug, making eye contact before answering me. "Alice Hayden, listen to me. Ok?"