Chapter 7

Maeve's P.O.V.

For one blissful moment when I wake up, I forget. But the dull and aching feeling in my chest makes it all
come flashing back.

      The storm.

       Sebastian falling from the sky.

      I go to move, but it quickly becomes clear that I'm tied down with chains. I lift my head and it takes a moment for my eyes to adjust to the dingy cell. Then I lock eyes with my captors as not just one, but two, bonds fall into place.

No.

No, no, no.

      Lucian and Aeron are standing before me. I look back up to the ceiling and groan.

Haven't I suffered enough?

Back in school, it was the two of them along with Silas. The three of them were also really close with Morgan's sperm donor. I hated them already, but that was the final nail in the coffin.

      "So, it was you guys who killed Sebastian," I utter.

   They look at each other before Aeron shakes his head. "That was not us."

        "Excuse me if I find it hard to believe you," I sneer.

Goddess above, I hate that they aren't hideous.

Lucian is big, maybe even bigger than Ash. He used to be the one I hated least of that little group, simply because he doesn't talk. Now it's a little unsettling. He has pitch black hair and eyes almost as dark.

       Aeron is smaller, but still extremely muscular. His curly hair is a soft brown and he has caramel brown eyes.

        "We have no interest in starting a war, especially with the dragons," Aeron says with an amused expression.

       I grind my teeth together. "Either way, you're close to starting one now that you are holding their queen captive."

        He scowls. "You trespassed on our territory."

       "I was shot down over your territory. There is a difference."

I need to get out of here and get back to Morgan. The issue isn't the chains, or even getting out of this cell, it's finding Ash.

Aeron momentarily looks at Lucian, who looks bored out of his mind. "Are we sure we are buying this? Your family is dead and now Sebastian. And here you are completely unscathed," he says before pointing at my face. "I guess not completely unscathed. Somebody got you pretty good, sweetheart."

       I want to rip his heart out of his chest at the accusation. "They are dead, but I am here looking at the two of you. Honestly, they seem to have gotten the better end of the deal."

Maybe I went a little too dark there, but I hate them so much.

He doesn't say anything for a moment as I look around the cell. Lucian is holding onto a dagger and a plan begins to form.

"Regardless of whether you killed Sebastian or not, this wasteland will be nothing but ashes and bones when I get out of here," I say.

Aeron gestures at me with his head. "Sorry, Your Majesty. Your dragon friend is indisposed at the moment," he says as Lucian approaches me with his dagger. I bristle at his words but say nothing as Lucian presses the blade against my throat.

Scooting forward, I press my throat harder into the blade. Lucian's now blood red eyes flare as blood trickles down and I have to bite the inside of my cheek to keep a smirk from appearing.

        "Come on," I say sweetly before tilting my head back. I focus hard on the wound not healing. "I'll allow it just this once."

        Aeron takes a deep breath as his red eyes fade away. "Don't do it."

           The two of them have always had issues with their control, but Lucian's issues are far worse.

      Take the bait.

       Just as I expected, he does. He grips my hair, allowing him full access to my neck and sinks his teeth in.

Nothing could prepare me for how euphoric it feels. A breathy moan escapes my mouth as he feeds from me.

It doesn't take long until he pulls away, spitting whatever blood he can out. Aeron looks concerned as his friend struggles to breath and I finally laugh.

Lucian collapses and writhes in pain. "What did you do?," Aeron demands.

"Oh, don't be so dramatic. He'll be fine," I scoff. "Maybe."

Aeron kneels down next to him and I use this as my opportunity. I quickly break free of the chains before snapping Aeron's neck.

I don't spare them another glance as I grip the metal bars of the cell and easily pry the bars apart. As soon as I slip through I take off to my right.

Lucian could have easily mind linked somebody and I don't want to be around when backup arrives. I search each cell for Ash and it's taking me longer than I'd like.

Eventually, I find him sprawled out and naked in one of the cells. Guards are coming now and I don't have much time.

"Ash," I whisper, but he doesn't stir.

I don't hesitate to extract my claws and sink them into my hand, forcing the blood down Ash's throat. My blood will heal him because I am queen, but blood sharing between a royal and a guard creates a special bond between the two.

His eyes snap open and before he can say anything, I say "We don't have time. I don't have access to my magic down here. I need you to shift."

He doesn't ask questions as we hear the vampires approaching. I back out of the cell to give him space and he shifts, causing the ceiling to crack and the bars of the cell to snap.

Suddenly there's a group of vampire guards in front of me. One approaches me, but before he can do anything Ash forces his way out of the cell, debris falling in his wake.

With a deep, guttural sound he breaths fire at the guards. Those in the back are able to escape. Those who can't, scream as they catch fire. I don't wait around and leap onto Ash's back, but they are as good as dead.

He breaks the wall down on our side and jumps through it, flying off into the night.