5

A few weeks had passed, and it was very nearly Halloween. Random pumpkins littered the quad and the boys' dormitories which Luke loved the look of. It was great to see people getting into the spirit of Halloween. Although Luke used to be completely freaked out by the dark and anything scary when he was younger, he still loved this time of year. It was an excuse to get dressed up and beg for sweets. Plus this year he actually had friends to hang out with. Luke smiled at that thought as he finished off his small sketch of a giant, old pumpkin so that he could stick it on the outside of his and Calum's door. He loved all the little holidays. He got some tape and walked out of his room, closing the door and turning to it. He attached the picture to the door and smiled to himself when the busting of the corridor filled his ears.

Luke looked down the hallway and although he couldn't see Michael or his door, he knew he was there somewhere. He hoped so anyway. Once Luke had finished with the picture, he started to stroll down the hallway and stopped at Michael's door. He hesitated momentarily. Sure, he had waited outside Michael's door a few times when they had an English lecture first thing, but he had never made any social visits. The pair, plus Ashton, usually just hung out by the diner or during classes. Would Michael think it was weird if Luke just showed up at his door unannounced? Luke grumbled at his awkwardness and before he could back out, he found himself knocking softly on his friend's bedroom door.

He heard some movement coming from inside and Luke instinctively took a step back away from the door, so he didn't seem too eager. He watched as the door slowly opened and a confused looking Michael appeared. Luke offered Michael somewhat of an awkward smile. "Hey." He said.

Michael returned the smile almost instantly. "Hey, man. What's up?" He asked in a nice and polite tone. As usual, Michael was dressed in his black jeans and a black hoodie which had a red slogan on it. That's the most colour Luke had ever seen on the boy, and he thought it definitely suited him. Luke himself was wearing black jeans but with an off-white sweater, his slightly curly and long hair falling in front of his face and over his eyes which he quickly moved.

Luke hesitated. What was up? Why did he even come here? Luke just wanted to see Michael. He wasn't sure why. Maybe because it was a Saturday, and he was bored and wanted something to do. Luke mustered up enough courage to throw a lazy smile Michael's way. "Just wondering if you wanted to hang out. I have nothing to do."

Michael shrugged. "Sure, but I think I might be coming down with a cold. Are you fine with staying here?" he asked in a hopeful tone.

Luke nodded quickly and eagerly. "Sure. We can stay here." He said with a big smile. It was crazy how such a small thing meant such a big deal to him. Nobody had ever invited him to come back to their room to hang out. Sure, Luke was the one that made the first move with Michael, but the black-haired boy seemed more than happy with allowing Luke to enter his room.

He gingerly stepped inside when Michael waved him in. Once the door was closed, Luke was able to have a good look around his friend's room. It was similar to his own, kind of small and bland. Michael had a few band posters up on one wall and a series of photographs on another. Upon stepping closer to the wall, Luke could see that all the pictures consisted of his friends, his family and even his pets. Michael seemed to have three cats. Three. Luke smiled softly at the idea of Michael being surrounded by those fluffy creatures. Michael certainly did look happy in all of those pictures.

When Luke realised he was probably staring at the pictures too long, he turned around and quickly faced Michael. He smiled at the boy and then saw that Michael had indeed pushed both of the single beds together to create a bigger one. Luke was insanely jealous.

"Your room is cool." Luke complimented.

Michael smiled proudly. "Yeah, I think so too. I've tried to make it as homely as humanly possible." He said with a grin, glancing around at his own room with a sense of delight. "Come take a seat. Do you wanna play some video games?" Michael asked as he gestured to his big double bed.