₀₇. same page

CHAPTER SEVEN;same page

CHAPTER SEVEN;
same page

KAZ BREKKER NEEDED A BREAK. From the moment he left Ace's house, after telling her something he probably shouldn't have, and didn't stick around to see her reaction, because whether it was good or bad, it would destroy him; everything had gone sideways.

He should've known Pekka Rollins had been working with Van Eck, he should've known that and he should've prepared for that scenario but all he could think about for the past days was getting Ace to safety—or just her in general. He needed a break and he needed to get a fucking grip, focus on getting them out of this mess.

They assembled once again in the suite's sitting room. At Nina's request, Colm had ordered another stack of waffles and a bowl of strawberries and cream.

Jesper had slipped off his boots and was seated on the carpet, knees tucked up to his chest, casting furtive glances at Wylan, who had settled on the couch and seemed to be deliberately ignoring him. Inej perched on the windowsill, her balance so perfect it made her appear weightless, a bird poised to take flight. Kuwei had wedged himself into the crook of the settee, one of his notebooks open beside him. Matthias and Nina were sitting on the couch and Colm Fahey sat at a table. Kaz sat in a high-backed purple chair, his bad leg propped on the low table, cane leaning against his thigh. He'd already seen to his torn shirt.

And Ace sat near him on the lounge chair of the sitting room, her legs crossed in front of her, a deck of cards in her hand. Kaz knew they'd been thinking along the same lines when a plan formed in his head, and he knew she would fill in the gaps of his plan, but he also knew he would see to things she hadn't expected, and he knew she would get mad at him for doing what he had to do.

"All right," said Nina, "When you say an auction, you don't actually mean—"

"Kuwei is going to sell himself," Kaz finished for her.

"Are you mad?"

"I'd probably be happier if I was," said Kaz. He rested one gloved hand on his cane. "Any Kerch citizen and any free citizen who travels to Kerch has the right to sell his own indenture. It isn't just the law, it's trade, and there's nothing more holy in Kerch. Kuwei Yul-Bo has the sacred right—as sanctioned by Ghezen, god of industry and commerce—to submit his life to the will of the market. He can offer his service at auction."

"You want him to sell himself to the highest bidder?" Inej said incredulously.

"To our highest bidder. We're going to fix the outcome so Kuwei gets his fondest wish—a life sipping tea from a samovar in Ravka."

"My father will never allow it," said Wylan.

"Van Eck will be powerless to stop it. The auction of an indenture is protected by the highest laws in the city—secular and religious. Once Kuwei declares his contract open, no one can stop the auction until bidding has closed."