Chapter 15

In the small but ever-tidy sitting room of their small row house, Millie squared off against her parents

In the small but ever-tidy sitting room of their small row house, Millie squared off against her parents. Her parents were in the armchairs by the narrow fireplace while Millie, fresh from the hospital and with a new bandage taped over the healing wound along the side of her face, sat on the loveseat. Olivia was next to her, holding her hand and rubbing her back as Millie shook with rage.

"I don't want to go!" Millie snapped. For all her anger, it was undone by the trails of tears that streaked down her cheeks.

Her father was a tall, imposing man. Usually, his looks were deceiving, for he was really a gentle giant—a man of infinite patience and calm. Not now, though. Now his patience was failing, and he sat rigid with irritation.

"It doesn't matter what you want Millie," he replied, his formidable moustache bristling as he spoke. "You must go. It's for your own good."

Millie swept her free hand towards her sister at her side. "Olivia doesn't have to go!"

Her father turned to her mother, who was sitting quietly, her own eyes wet with tears. It was from her that Olivia had inherited her perfect looks, and as a woman of appearances, she had never handled confrontation well. As she looked back at her husband, her expression was fretful, her mouth opening and closing several times, as though she was trying to muster the courage to defend Millie...

But a cutting, cold look from Millie's father cut her off.

Her mother quickly acquiesced and forced a trembling smile as she turned back to her girls. "Dearest, you know that's because Olivia is—"

Millie didn't let her mother finish either. "Starting training at St Thomas, I know, I know! But why can't I train to be a nurse, too? They say they need all the help they can get!"

Her parents shared another look that Millie couldn't decipher. Were they exasperated that, once again, Millie was unsatisfied with their plans for her? They had always let Olivia do as she pleased, eager to bow to her dreams and ideas, but Millie was usually forced to do as she was told.

Next to her, Olivia started to stroke Millie's newly close-cropped hair. Millie, now just as furious at her sister as she was with her parents, tried to pull away. But Olivia tightened her grip on her wrist, making Millie wince.

"You're too young, Millie," Olivia cooed. "It's just a bit, just until you're done the year. Then as soon as you're out of school, you can come and join the effort at St Thomas!"

Millie scowled at her sister like she was a traitor.

"Don't." Her father shook his head and pressed his fist to his forehead as if all the arguing was giving him a headache. "Don't encourage her."

Her mother jumped in, trying to smooth everything over. "We just don't want to lose you—" she had to stop, her voice going thick. She had to clear her throat before continuing. "We don't want to lose you. You'll be safe at Wickford."