17

Chapter 17 || Real and raw

;love is delicate, take care of it when you manage to find it

"How the fuck did you even trust this piece of shit after what happened last time?" I snarl, kicking the rusted to fuck tyre rim

"How the fuck did you even trust this piece of shit after what happened last time?" I snarl, kicking the rusted to fuck tyre rim. "This is bullshit."

Freddie toes the sand on the side of the road, sheepish expression on his face. A truck flies past us, the gust of wind knocks his man-bun to the side a little.

"Sorry, okay?" He finally says, sighing and shrugging. "I thought the work I did on the tank would work."

"Thought wrong." I roll my eyes, turning away as I shade my eyes from the blaring sun as I search for Faith's car.

It's the morning after our third away game, and instead of riding the bus with the rest of the team, me and Freddie got a pass to use his truck so I could leave as soon as possible due to Emmy having a doctors appointment the same day.

So in leiu of being there with her, I'm stuck on the side of the damn desert road, waiting impatiently for Faith to pick us up, my only company being the jack ass that got us into this situation.

"Look, bro, I'm sorry, I know how much you wanted to be there for Ems, but Faith's got it, so least that's one less thing to worry bout... Right?" the last part comes out slightly more hopeful.

And truthfully, he is lucky that I have Faith to rely on, because if not, and I had missed this appointment, his head would be used to cover up the water casket instead of fucking duct tape.

Before I can bite his head off, the familiar white merc rolls up to us, windows down and music blaring. Faith's voice singing along to Dustin Lynch's Thinking Bout You, and Emmy's laugh filters out of the vehicle and automatically cheers me up.

Slapping a hand on my shoulder, Freddie grins. "Saved by the nanny, once again," he winks before bolting away with a laugh before my fist connects with his arm.

I'm thinking about disowning him as a friend.

Sliding into the back of Faith's Merc, I lean between the front seats, tickling my daughter's chubby cheek. "Hi, beautiful." I coo before swinging my gaze to the driver. "Hi, beautiful."

Faith rolls her tongue over the front of her teeth, smothering what I know to be a gorgeous smile. "Hi, beautiful. Congrats on another win."

"Being a show off."

Beside me, Freddie makes loud heaving noises. "You two are sickeningly sweet."

At the same time, both Faith and I roll our eyes, Faith's landing on Shaw.

"Haven't you got rocks to kick or something?" she raises a brow. "Or I could leave your ass out here for funsies?"

Chuckling, I move in swiftly, slapping a kiss on her cheek before relaxing back into the leather seat. Freddie's hand leaps to his left peck, his face is etched with literal offence.