3. The Young Man

That evening, the sun fell low in the sky, casting lanky shadows across the Giant's cheeks. A young man climbed up onto the Giant's nose. He gazed at the Giant for several minutes before she noticed him.

"OH HELLO," said the Giant.

"Are you comfortable?" he asked.

"NO," said the Giant. "SOMETHING IS POKING MY NECK."

"That's the embankment," said the young man. "To stop you from snoring."

"YES, I DO TEND TO SNORE," admitted the Giant.

"Forgive my asking," said the young man, "but how did you get here?"

"OH," said the Giant. And she thought for so long that the young man considered repeating the question.

Then she said: "I WAS SAD. EVERY DAY I TRIED TO MAKE THE SADNESS GROW SMALLER, BUT THINGS DON'T GROW SMALL, THEY GROW BIG."

The young man nodded, for this was true.

"OVER TIME," continued the Giant, "THE SADNESS GREW SO LARGE THAT I DELETED MY SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS AND WENT TO SLEEP."

"What is social media?" asked the young man.

"IT'S HARD TO EXPLAIN, BUT IT KINDA SUCKS," said the Giant, and left it at that.

"I suppose this is all a bit of a shock," said the young man. "Waking up to find us living on you."

" I CERTAINLY DIDN'T EXPECT TO WAKE UP IN SOME SORT OF LILLIPUTIAN SITUATION," said the Giant.

"What kind of situation is that?" asked the young man.

"FROM GULLIVER'S TRAVELS?"

"I confess I don't know him," said the young man. He cleared his throat. "I'm Brandon, by the way."

"PLEASED TO MEET YOU," said the Giant.

The Giant didn't offer a name in return, so Brandon continued. "Can I get you anything?"

"I'M A BIT HUNGRY."

"That's odd, said the young man. "The protein solution piped into your arm is designed to keep you full of nutrients and essential vitamins."

"MAYBE HUNGRY IS THE WRONG WORD," said the Giant. "I WANT TO TASTE SOMETHING."

The young man nodded. "Then I'll get you something to eat."

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Brandon opened his mouth and took a breath a few times, but no words came out.

Brandon shuffled his feet. "I, ah, confess, I have another reason for being here. I come on behalf of a friend. He is a poet and you are his muse. He sent me here to tell you that he thinks you are the most beautiful creature he's ever seen. While you slept, he was in the habit of climbing up here, every day at this time. To watch the flutter of your eyelids and wonder at what dreams you saw behind them.

"THAT'S A BIT CREEPY," said the Giant.

"He was worried you'd think that," said Brandon. "But I know him well, and it's not creepy, I promise."

"WHY NOT VISIT ME HIMSELF?"

"He is far too shy."

Brandon produced a piece of paper from his pocket. "He did, however, write this poem for me to read to you."

"GO AHEAD," said the Giant.

Brandon read the poem, which was for the Giant's ears only. But if you are curious, the work was competent, clear, and sincere. After that, it's a matter of taste.

To the Giant's taste, it was a magnificent poem. She told Brandon as much, and he promised to relay her pleasure to his friend. Brandon tucked the piece of paper under the duotang of laws the Chief of Police had left.

"I must go. Soon the moon will rise and I'll risk being spotted up here on the nose. This is a restricted area, you see. But my friend is an accomplished chocolatier. I'm sure he'd be honoured to create a confectionary for you to enjoy."

Brandon slid down her nose, carefully avoiding the vast swirling vortexes that blasted forth from her nostrils. He made his long, winding way back to the Giant's left shoulder where he lived, among the poorest in the city.