Chapter nine: We all know. Now what?

I'm going to die.

Iskall let the phrase roll around their head as they sat on the edge of the Architects building, watching faraway stormclouds heading towards them.

I'm going to die, because I can't tell Stress I love her.

'Hey, Iskall!' A voice called from behind them. Startled, they turned just as Grian and Mumbo sat on either side of them, legs dangling off the edge. Grian wrapped his wing around Iskall's back, and Mumbo passed them a cup of steaming liquid.

'Hot chocolate?' Iskall asked, taking a small sip.

Mumbo nodded. 'You like it! Right?'

'Yeah.' Iskall leaned against his shoulder, drinking the cup. 'I'm glad you guys are here.' They murmured. 'If I'm going to die soon...'

Grian punched their shoulder. 'Hey! No talking like that. We'll find a way.'

'Mmm.' Iskall wasn't convinced. Grian picked up a loose rock from the roof and tossed it over the edge of the building, watching it plummet and hit the ground with a faraway clink.

'You know who you like, right?' Mumbo asked unexpectedly. He slung his arm around Iskall's shoulders.

'Huh?' Iskall asked through a sip of cocoa. 'Yeah. Uh. Stress.'

'Stress?' Grian asked incredulously. 'Wait, why haven't you told her yet?'

'I'm scared!' Iskall admitted. 'What if she- What if she hates me?'

Grian and Mumbo exchanged glances. 'Uh, Iskall?' Mumbo asked carefully.

'Yeah?'

'You know she likes you back, right?'

A beat of silence.

'What?'

**********

Stress paced in Iskall's Season 8 base, searching through the rooms. She had been looking through all of Iskall's bases, trying to find them.

Because she now knew something.

'Hey, Stress!' Someone landed behind her and ran over. Two someones, actually. Scar and Xisuma. Scar looked panicked, while Xisuma had a calmer demeanour.

'Scar? Are you alright?' Stress asked.

'I'm just- Tired.' Scar took a deep breath. 'That was a lot of flying.'

'Hes alright.' Xisuma broke in, as Stress reached for Scar. 'Stress, we think Iskalls getting worse.'

Stress felt like someone had punched her. 'What?' She gasped. 'Whats wrong? Did they get hurt?'

'No, no!' Xisuma clarified. 'That came out wrong. They're alright, for now. But the hanahaki seems to be progressing quickly.'

'So... They're going to die soon?' Dread crept up, making Stress feel faint.

'Maybe.' Scar looked down at his feet. 'But we have something to tell you.'

'What?'

'I didn't want to tell you... I was hoping you and Iskall would figure it out...' Xisuma raised his gaze to look her in the eyes. 'Stress, Iskall likes you.'